No announcement yet.

family unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Amanda, is there a reason why Nicole isn't donating her own blood? Jamie donated two units for her surgery and didn't have any problems. When they were preping her for her back sugery, they had trouble starting an IV because her veins are so small. I mentioned this last year when she had ankle surgery and they immediately got a spray to numb the area where they were going to start the IV. I'm sure if you mention Nicole is afraid of needles (if that's the problem) they will gladly numb the area for her.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Nicole is giving her own blood. But they said she should give a unit and I should have two other donors to each give a unit just in case one of them is not good. I have asked about arm numbing at the red cross and it is not done there. I asked about bringing her in with her arm numb and nobody seems to understand that. But Nicole will be donating. Are you suggesting she donate twice for herself? How much time in between would she need?

Amanda, I like the idea of the t-shirts. We are giving out the blue Let's Get it Straight bracelets from the Scoliosis Association. We ordered 50 to give out to all the kids.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I honesly am not sure how long in between she would have to wait but I think it takes something like 30 days for one's own body to produce a pint of blood.

Maybe this will help put Nicole's mind at ease if she's nervous about donating but it really doesn't hurt at all. I donated for Lorena when she had her surgery and it is time consuming but it's not painful.

Amanda
        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
        26 Degree Post Op Curve
        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Melissa,

I'm not telling you what to do, but sure, why not have Nicole donate twice for herself?

If I remember correctly, Jamie was supposed to donate 3 units of blood, but was only able to donate two. The week of her period, her iron level was too low so they wouldn't take her blood. She donated weekly and was fine but I'm sure you could take Nicole every two weeks if you'd feel better doing it that way. Remember, the blood is only good for 30 days, so it all has to be done within the 30 days prior to surgery.

Could you take her to CHOP to donate? With Jamie, we went right to the hospital and therefore, they were use to working with kids.

I'm glad Jamie donated blood. She needed both units of blood before leaving the O.R.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

They will definitely not numb her arm. I asked. Nicole is extremely scared. Maybe if it is a great experience I could convince her to do it again. It would be ideal. Meanwhile my brother is finding out what his type is. Did Jamie feel weak or anything by giving the blood twice? I am still waiting to make Nicole's appt because the Red Cross is still waiting for paperwork. How frustrating. All I do is make calls.

Amanda, Nicole had to give blood for a test once and the nurse kept pricking her arm to find her vein. Nicole was hysterical. Her arm was black and blue and she has not forgotten that memory. She was probably around 9 at the time. If that happens again it will be a nightmare.
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

MATJESNIC, I'm an adult male somewhere around your age or older and I know how your daughter feels about the needle. To this day, I dread having to get stuck as it's very hard to hit a vein in me. The good thing is that where ever she is doing this, that odds are very good that whom ever is drawing the blood has done it many, many times before. One thing that can help is for her to eat very well before she goes, and drink tons and tons of fluids. This will definietly help make it easier for the tech to get into the vein. The reason they won't numb it up is that it's not normally in the Red Cross protocols and they are not going to risk the additional liability. The problem with having your doctor numb up her arm ahead of time is that it would have a limited time that it would be effective, and there's no guarantee that they won't have to try in the other arm.

So far as the T shirts go, why don't you get a tally of what sizes you need, and how many in each size, and then buy a bunch of them along with a whole mess of permanent markers, and some iron on transfers (this may be a bit pricey). You can then come up with a couple of graphics/logos that you can print on to the transfers and then let everyone decorate their own shirts with at least one common element at the party. Perhaps you could also get the other kids involved in doing a whole bunch of shirts for Nicole. It would be a great way to give her a "get well" present that won't cost them much, but has their own personal touch to them.

Comment

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Nicole will eat a good meal and drink plenty of fluids the day before and that day, as well. Here's hoping she has an amazing person who gets it right the first time.

As far as the party is concerned, I just bought a huge Get Well Card. I will provide lots of pens and have everyone write a nice message to Nicole that she can read over and over again as she is recovering.

My husband and I are getting sweatshirts with Nicole's picture on them. We will get it at a local place. It will say Team Nicole and Let's Get it Straight. We will wear them the day of surgery.

I have to remember to bring my ugly purple shirt to put on when we go in to see Nicole after surgery. She has promised me she will insult me so that I know she is okay.

We have our appt for blood donation this Monday at 2:45. If it goes well, she will give again two weeks later. If not, then we have Jessica either way. Thank you all for your support and advice. You are all amazing people and I couldn't be doing any of this without this forum.
                Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

That's very cool you got to do the Broadway thing. Braydon and I saw Wicked in NYC in April - I'm listening to the soundtrack as we speak! I LOVE that show. My first (and likely only, ever) visit to NYC was well worth it. Idina was not Elphaba, but I actually liked whoever we saw as much, if not better. It was AWESOME!

We'll be thinking of you in the coming weeks. Sending our best your way. Braydon is having leg surgery on Sept 4, so hopefully I'll have my wits about me to send another best wishes post.
                  Carmell
                  mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Carmell,

Wicked is our all-time favorite. We didn't see it with Idina either. There is so much talent on those Broadway shows that it really doesn't matter who you are seeing. We are only a train ride away from NYC. I will be sending prayers for Brayden. What kind of leg surgery is he getting?
                    Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

There is a slight chance we'll be coming to Baltimore next summer for more leg surgery (lengthening). If we do, we will be seeing Wicked again! A must, for sure. Can't be that close and not go.

Braydon's surgery in Sept will be to correct his knock-knee position and de-rotate the tibia (right leg for both issues). This is in preparation for future lengthening surgery. His right leg is 5cms shorter than the left. His knee joint is wearing out prematurely because of the knock-knee position and because of the leg length difference (LLD). With each step, he hyper-extends his knee. Not good for the joint. The tibia is rotated inward approx. 25 degrees. With bringing the foot forward and fixing the knock-knee problem (over time, as he grows) his leg and joints should be in better shape. Thanks for asking. Didn't mean to divert the conversation.
                      Carmell
                      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Jamie didn't have any problems with feeling tired or weak. Like someone else said, make sure she eats a good meal and drinking plenty of fluids and she should feel fine.

I understand your nervousness for Nicole. Jamie too had a difficult blood draw when she was about 4 y.o. But remember, Nicole will feed off of your reactions. If you show her that you are extremely scared, then she will be even more scared. Have you thought about sitting in the chair next to her and donating blood with her? There's always a need for blood, so you'd not only be helping Nicole with her fear, you'd also be helping someone else.

Just a quick reminder---make sure your hair is perfect (even though you will be up very early in the morning and then you will sit in a waiting room for hours) and your shirt is the perfect color before entering the recovery room.

Mary Lou
                        Take care and have fun on Saturday.

Comment

Yes,

I am telling her it is no big deal. I will ask her if it would help if I donated, too. I am wearing the shirt that she hates so that she can insult me in the recovery room. It will be music to my ears.
                          Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

I'm sure Nicole will do fine my brother who is deathly afraid needles donated for Lorena also and he said the same thing ~ it didn't hurt. To be honest with my needle/shot experiences donating blood was a lot easier and less painful than just regular lab work blood draws.

Take care and good luck on Monday.

~ Hugs ~

Amanda
                            Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                            Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                            Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                            Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                            Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                            26 Degree Post Op Curve
                            Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                            Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                            YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think it is good that Nicole will face one of her big fears. If it is a good experience it will empower her for her surgery and any other big obstacles she faces. Thanks for all of your support.
                              Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

I tried to donate blood with Alexander but the Blood Center staff were against it. They wanted me to really be there with all my strength for him in case he needed me. They said if we had had a ride home from someone else it would have been more okay with them. Regardless though, my iron was low so they wouldn't let me do it anyway. And he did need me because he hadn't had enough to drink so he sort of fainted. I'm sure Nicole will be fine though if she drinks a lot of liquid for many hours before the donation. I've donated blood many times since I was 16 years old and never had a problem (except occasionally the low iron prohibiting the donation).

Good luck,
                                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X