Changing for Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing for Gym

Ok, so this year they are changing it at my school and we will have to change clothes for gym class. I wear a boston brace and I'm sort of scared that people will see my brace when I take it off for gym class, I really don't want to be made fun of because last year when I was adjusting my brace in the bathroom a girl saw and said "What did you do brake your neck or something?" I was going to explain but then she left. Now I'm really scared because shes going to be in my gym class!!!! Is there anything I could say to anyone who asks?
    My name is Katie and I love to Dance especially Ballet. I am 14 years old and after 3 years of the Boston brace, I'm officially brace-free! Great holiday present if I do say so myself

Simply tell them you have something called scoliosis. If they asked for details, tell them your back curves and you need this to make sure it stays straight.

This is something you must live with. Don't hide it, it's part of your identity. You will live a miserable life if you don't accept this.
    My name is Justine
    I am 17 years old
    I live in Canada
    March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
    June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
    January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
    CHEO June 26th

Comment

when i change out and into my brace for gym i go into a bathroom or into a back hall with my friend j. my teachers under stand if im late talk to your gym teacher about changing they'll understand every thing!
      Jodi Lynn
      Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
      Surgery June 30th (age 14)
      Now 16 and as happy as ever
      *Brace Yourself*

Comment

yes its verrryyyy true! i agree with ballerina 100%
        "This is something you must live with. Don't hide it, it's part of your identity. You will live a miserable life if you don't accept this."
        and sooner or later all your friends will know.. so dont make it bigger than it is.. cuz then when your friends will know.. they will think.. oooo omg! i feel soooo bad for her.. look what she has! and if only 1 person knows or will know.. they will start telling every1 and ur friends will start talking behind you back and then you wont know what to do! u shouldnt be embarressed the later your friends will know the more of stress you will have in your mind..
        My name is Rotem
        I am 13 and in 7th grade
        Started with 2 curves:
        34º Therotical
        50º Lumber
        I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
        Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
        and im still trying to get used to it
        Hoping I won't need surgery
        I live in South Florida
        3rd check on November 17,2007,
        Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
        30º Theoratical
        37º Lumber
        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

i take my brace off in the nurses office. theres like rooms in there.
          no one notices. and im always late for gym so i change for it by myself. =P
          i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

good idea !! i never thought of that.. lol.. except for the part that now i dont really care if my friends see it since most of them know that i have a brace..but i think its a very good idea for u Katie!!
            My name is Rotem
            I am 13 and in 7th grade
            Started with 2 curves:
            34º Therotical
            50º Lumber
            I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
            Got my 1st on Nov. '06
            Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
            Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
            and im still trying to get used to it
            Hoping I won't need surgery
            I live in South Florida
            3rd check on November 17,2007,
            Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
            30º Theoratical
            37º Lumber
            4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Don't hide. I used to change in a bathroom stall, cover the brace with my clothes & always be late for gym class. I was so shy about my brace & thought I did a good job of hiding it. Then at my 20th high school reunion, classmates asked me how I was doing with my scoliosis. I was shocked. They said everyone knew. It was because I was secretive that they wanted to know what I was hiding....can't keep secrets from kids!

So my advice is to be an advocate educating our youth about scoliosis and bringing disability out of the closet. I know at your age this might seem an overwhelming challenge....esp. since you want to fit in with your classmates. But what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!! You can tell your classmates about the famous, successful people who have scoliosis & that you are like them too. No one can intimidate you without your permission. Be the strong, courageous young woman that you are.

Good luck & God bless. Cynthia (an old lady w/scoliosis who remembers what it was like at your age)

Comment

Working...
              X