Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Okay, well all has been going good until recently. I have developed a burning/aching pain on the left side of my upperback around the area of one of the screws. Well, I am a fairly active person. (i'm in the military still) I don't know if I've aggrevated the muscles or what. I have also noticed that when I stand I am now leaning to the right with my left arm not hanging to my side the right way. It sort of sticks out kinda funny. (noticeably different from my right arm)! That and when I move my shoulders back it feels as if my shoulder blade is rubbing on one of the screws and it's not only uncomfortable, but painful as well. Before the surgery 2 years ago I was leaning to the left! Is this a sign of the curve progressing or something worse!?!! (Where I'm at I don't readily have access to X-rays or MRI's for that matter) I had a PT appointment and the doctor held my arms and pulled up on my back! After he made the top part 'crack' it has hurt since then and it has begun to hurt worse. It may be at least 7 months before I can get to a doctor back stateside, but even then I'm only there temporarily and then I get sent overseas again. Please help me out with this. If anyone has had this before please share your insight and pain relief remedies with me. I'm desperate at this point. It hurts!
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

I would visit a stateside doc with experience dealing with prior fusions. You should not be tilting.
    Before my revision surgery I tilted and my handle on another forum was "leaningtower".
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I can sympathize completely. Heating pads can help with pain. Try putting a pillow under your knees when you are laying on your back. That can help sometimes. If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your legs. I got those two tips from my physical therapist. I'm sure other members can give you more tips for dealing with the pain.
      Now, I have a few questions. What lead to the doctor cracking your back? Is medical leave possible in your situation? I realize you are in the military, and am not sure how that works. Idealy, you should see your surgeon. He/ she would start out by taking an x-ray to determine if the problem was muscular or if something else was going on. However, I know this may not be possible for a few months. Not trying to scare you, just trying to be helpful. Is there a different doctor you can see? Good Luck and hang in there!
      Audra
      Diagnosed at 12
      42T, 52L presurgery
      surgery in 1994: fused form T1-L2, curves corrected to 25T and 25L
      infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

The PT thought it would 'alleviate' the pain I am having in that area. Unfortunately enough my surgeon is civilian and in Washington, D.C. while I am currently in South Korea. :/ I won't be able to go home until at least 7 months. There are no doctors here that have dealt with an issue such as this so I have to wait until I go stateside unless they send me to Japan (which I doubt, b/c there are people here with torn ACL's and messed up shoulders that they won't send to Japan to get looked at because of the cost) Although I saw one doctor who stated he scrubbed in on a few cases in his private practice, but in the same encounter was trying to force me to slouch (hello! Rods are in my back, I will never be able to slouch again!) I'll try the heat packs. Hopefully my husband will send me my TENS unit so I can use it over here. (I was doing good, so I didn't think I needed it anymore)
        25 yr old female =^_^=
        Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

slouch...yeah, right Sorry to here its unlikely to be sent home or to Japan. Hope the TENS helps!
          Audra
          Diagnosed at 12
          42T, 52L presurgery
          infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

[QUOTE=itsjustme]Okay, well all has been going good until recently. I have developed a burning/aching pain on the left side of my upperback around the area of one of the screws. Well, I am a fairly active person. (i'm in the military still) I don't know if I've aggrevated the muscles or what.

That is exactly what it is. I had the same problem after my 1st surgery. They couldn't pin point what it was. They did exploratory surgery and took out 1 rod. They determined that my muscle was being irritated, or rejecting it. Problem seems to have been fixed now.

It is a odd pain. Comes and goes. Burning, sometimes very sharp. I would even have what felt like attacks.

Comment

[QUOTE=Purklelove]
              Originally posted by itsjustme
              Okay, well all has been going good until recently. I have developed a burning/aching pain on the left side of my upperback around the area of one of the screws. Well, I am a fairly active person. (i'm in the military still) I don't know if I've aggrevated the muscles or what.

That is exactly what it is. I had the same problem after my 1st surgery. They couldn't pin point what it was. They did exploratory surgery and took out 1 rod. They determined that my muscle was being irritated, or rejecting it. Problem seems to have been fixed now.

It is a odd pain. Comes and goes. Burning, sometimes very sharp. I would even have what felt like attacks.
              Just an FYI it's a pain that sometimes makes me jump as if I'm being shocked. (I guess I'm just falling apart again) I do have some news. My physical Therapist would like to send me to another place here to have the hardware taken out. However, they have never dealt with anything like this,so there is no guarantee they could do it here. The surgeon that did the original surgery is in Washington, D.C. Looks like I have to go to the doctor to get something to make this nonsense stop hurting. I'm using icyhot and motrin right now. I'm still waiting for my husband to send my TENS unit! (I knew I should've packed it before I left) I don't even think I'll get anything taken out while I'm here. I'm thousands of miles away from my husband and daughter right now and I don't think I could do this here alone.
              25 yr old female =^_^=
              Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

I don't blame you for not wanting to have anything taken out with no family around to support you. Plus, the idea of having a surgeon who normally doesn't do revisions attempt one is scary.
                Audra
                Diagnosed at 12
                42T, 52L presurgery

Comment

Originally posted by ali8781
                  I don't blame you for not wanting to have anything taken out with no family around to support you. Plus, the idea of having a surgeon who normally doesn't do revisions attempt one is scary.

that's my point exactly.... I've just got to wait for next summer when I'll be in Florida and then I'll see a civilian doctor. I just need to wade this out for the time being. and doing pushups isn't exactly helping the situation either.... oh well, I guess for now I've got to grin and bear it since the AF is moving onto the whole 'fit to fight' hooplah. Thank goodness my hubby sent my TENS unit or else I don't know what I'd do!!!! (and painkillers are not an option for me.. I hate them things) ..... :/
                  25 yr old female =^_^=
                  Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Don't completely rule out using the military's resources. I had my first surgery as a dependent at Walter Reed (I know all the bad publicity it has had recently, but I got excellent care there). My current civilian dr. said that the job they did on my original rods was good (my revision was due to a problem that could not have been averted at the time). It sure would save you a LOT of money!!!
                    Jessica B.
                    "Bionic Woman"

1990 - 1993 - Wore Boston Brace
                    1991 - Post fossa decompression for Arnold Chiari Malformation
                    1993 - Posterior spinal fusion T4 - L4 and thoracoplasty T6 - T10 on the right
                    2007 - Lumbar laminectomy L4 - L5; L2 - iliac wing extension instrumentation and fusion

Comment

I'm 3 years post op, and now I'm feeling this pain you're speaking of.
                      For me it hurts between my spine and my left shoulder blade in the area of the screws. It feels like a muscle is pinched or something? + general burning/aching pain in the area.
                      At the start of the day it feels fine, then at the end of the day I'm in agony.
                      When it hurts, it feels like a muscle spasm/twitch and like you said - it makes me jump like I got shocked.

It hurts

Comment

My revision surgery was in 2000 and it was last summer I started to experience this pain too. I saw my doc about 3 weeks ago and he said that I was starting to develop a kyphosis at the top of my fusion so that the cause of the pain in my case appears to be one of my rods poking me. He wants me to think about having my rods cut down and about 4-5 more levels fused to stop the progression of the kyphosis. I haven't a clue what I am going to do as the thought of another surgery after 10 makes me sick!!!

chris

Comment

Working...
                        X