Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoliosis and seizures.... is there a connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and seizures.... is there a connection?

Hi y'all. my name is Virginia and i'm 14 years old. I found out I had scoliosis last summer during a routine school examination. But 5 years earlier I was diagnosed with epilepsy which is a disorder of the central nervous system that causes seizures. So, my question is, could my scoliosis have something to do with me having epilepsy or vice versa?

i am a 16 year old australian female who has scolliosis and i too have passed out without reason and woken up with ambulance officers standing over the top of me i have gone for eeg's and stuff like that but they have never found anything so maybe it might be a connection?!?!?!

Comment

Add another to the list.

I am way older then you gals, , however, I too have epilepsy and had surgery in 1971 for scoliosis.
      As a matter of fact, that is exactly why I started to do some research on this subject in the first place. I was also wondering if there was any connection between the two..

I will tell you this, I am 47 now, my epilepsy is controled with medication, my scoliosis was corrected as I said in 1971, I was one of the first few to have the operation at that time, I think I was the second person to have the surgery and I remember reporters, at the hospital and all that stuff.

Well anyone else with the same problems??? Very interesting dont ya think?

Comment

very interesting indeed!
        I have never made the connection, yet......hmmm?
        I had epilepsy for a few yrs as a preteen, then started having normal eegs. have been fine ever since. I have a curve of 13-15 in my lower spine. never had any sort of treatment for it.
        I have a sister who has 2 curves of 50+ each. she did NOT ever expereince seizures tho.
        Our 14 yr old daughter has a curve of 53 that is most likely going to require surgery. she has never passed out or seized.
        BUT, our 13 yr old daughter, who now has an upper curve of 13-15, DID faint and experience a seizure when she was 10. She did not have epilepsy. and it has never happened again......
        strange

Anyone else???
        now I'm curious!
        Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

after surgery i had "episodes" in which i felt light headed, saw spots and actuallly passed out once or twice. The doctors said it was because i was dehydrated from not drinking enough water. I still ocasionally feel light headed when i stand up after lying down but i quickly shake it off. I thinks its interesting that other people have had similar experiences.

Comment

My daughter was 10 and in the fifth grade when she bacame very ill. High fever, lethargy, loss of many motor skills, etc. After many mono tests-never positive, she was symptomatically diagnosed with encephalitis. Better known as the West Nile virus, which was not being tested for in area at the time, but later acknowledged as being in our state. The next year she was diagnosed with siezures, and the next summer progressive scoliosis. Do I believe there is a connection. I definitely do. The surgeon we were sent to, said that any time you have a brain fever, it can affect the growth of any bones. We are now having her treated at the STRS Clinic in Baton Rouge. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

Comment

I never put 2 & 2 together

i am 45 and have had a curved spin... in two places not sure what they called it my tail bone is also off or has become off centered.... my neck has developed a oposite curve as well.

i have has seizures since i way a bit before pre teenyears.. hid them well .. except on time ... then again as an adult i sliped and found my self telling my mom most of the auful truth i had worked so hard to hid.

my seizures are in the form of the tiny ones the not so tiny ones and the grand mall ones... not sure which i like or dislike most... i think even the grand mall ones have different levels the ones you still know that are happening and the ones you find out about later on......

my spine has been getting worse over the years... my leg lenght is getting way much more differnt.. my shoulders are noticable differnt as well as my hips and head position...

once when i was in a car accident the dr said my curve might start up or speed up i guess he was right.. is any of what we experence in anyway considered disabling or compesated though disability when you have no medical to have a dr to insist it is??? or at least be elegible for medical because of it?

Comment

also

my daugter says my spin disapears in places it shoulnt and patrudes where it shouldnt too.. what do i know i cant see back thier.

Comment

Hm... Well, I had only very mild scoliosis until the age of 20. But when I was an infant, I was hospitalized for a series of grand mal seizures . As I was growing up, my mother (a NICU nurse) noticed I had a somewhat "compromised" upper body (in other words, somewhat weak/lazy in movement). So I did ballet as physical therapy of sorts... and it seemed to help as nobody could tell after the first couple of years. I wonder if there may be some link...
                  Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                  Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                  Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                  Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                  February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                  September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Correlation between seizures & scoliosis..

Hi there! Just wanted to touch on this post, there are all sorts of "underlying" causes to scoliosis that involves seizures as well, some of them might now even show symptoms until later in life (such as your situation wishfulthinker) this website I've put out a few other places here is a helpful way to explore some of them, it's http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/scoliosis/underly.htm.

I read an article on another post here about young girl being diagnosed with scoliosis & then started having seizures, they discovered she had a chiari malformation, not to scare you or anything, I think that would be detectable in an MRI/CT.
                    Good luck to you all w/everything!

Comment

Seizures and scoliosis

This is really strange! My grandson that just had surgery for scoliosis had seizures a few months ago. He had several in one day and the doctors thought it best to put him on medication for them. None of the tests done showed anything, which the doctors said was good. We asked at least two doctors if there was any connection and we were told no. It seems strange there are so many just on this forum that have both.

Comment

I am new here but am glad to have found all the 'answers' to the question about seizures. I am 33 have had scoliosis since about 9. Last July (I think) I began having seizures. (Did not know they were seizures...until mid Sept. I also was in a car accident @Sept 7th. Since then I have noticed my 'scoliosis problems getting worse') I have been to 5 hospitals and ??? doctors. All they will say is 'it's a mystery' I have had MRI, CT, EEG etc and does not appear to be my brain, yet when I ask if it could be my scoliosis they act like I am crazy. So that is my 'nutshell', thank you,
                        Bren

Comment

siezures/scoliosis/medications/passing out

Be aware that if you have been prescribed a benzodiazepine for sleep, nerves/depression/muscle spasms/pain you can have SEIZURES when you stop them suddenly IF you have taken them regularly for a few weeks.

These include:Xanax(alprazolam)---Valium(diazepam)--triazolam (Halcion)---Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol)--clonazepam (Clonopin)---temazepam (Restoril).

These must be tapered off under a doctor's supervision. This is not epilepsy.

Passing out is not always seizures. It can have heart origins.
                          Karen
                          Last edited by Karen Ocker; 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM.
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i have a question, is Mobic a good medication to treat pain from scoliosis?
                            ~Wanda~
                            40TL curve pre op
                            Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
                            San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
                            June 7, 2006
                            post op curve: 16

Comment

Mobic is one of those anti inflammatory drugs like Celebrex and Vioxx. Its use is under question and the other two (def Vioxx, and I think Celebrex) have been taken off the market because of multiple cases of heart conditions while on them. The choice is up to you. All it will do is help cover the pain up, it wont cure anything. The underlying condition is still there. Good luck in your decision.
                              Mandy

Comment

Working...
                              X