Thread: inversion tables???

inversion tables???

Considering that intermittend traction is part of the treatment in some contexts, has anybody ever tried or considered trying an inversion table for a bit of spinal stretching? Any views??

Many years ago I purchased an inversion table in the hope that it would help to relieve the excruciating pain I had at that time. Unfortunately it did not. I felt some relief when I was being stretched, but as soon as I regained upright posture I would have severe pain. I realized that my body simply could not maintain the stretch when upright, and gravity caused my bones to just crash back into each other when I stood up

Of course every person is different. My curve was quite severe, and there was a lot of damage to my intervertebral discs. Perhaps other people have had more positive results.

Nora

I have been on an inversion table and when I am all stretched out, my spine looks completely straight. The only thing that is sticking out is my rib cage. It feels a bit uncomfortable, because you're being stretched so far, but it's great. I wish my spine would stay that way permanently.

So does it serve any purpose/give any long term benefit?
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Hi, anyone interested in this thread should have a look at Miscellaneous/Research/Torso Rotation#21-26.
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.