New to forum with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum with some questions

Hello. I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions or a similar experience. I was diagnosed with scoli at 12 and have a double major curve. When I first went to see Dr. Morrissey, my curves were 40 and 39. Because my curves were in a reverse S shape, I had an MRI. At my follow up appointment 1 month later we found out the MRI was negative. However, we also found out my curves had progressed to 42 and 51 (yes the bottom progressed 12 degrees in 1 month)! So I had surgery and am fused from T1 to L2. All was good up until recently. I am now 25 and am in lots of pain. I saw a new orthopedic surgeon (Morrissey retired) in March for some severe scapular pain and some pain in my lower back, right around where the fusion ends. He took some x-rays. No problems. All hardware was in place and the fusion was solid. I went to PT for about 6 weeks. This helped the thoracic pain ALOT. However some of the lower back exercises were harder. As the pain had eased up, my physical therapist and I figuered it was just going to take loger to strenthen those muscles. Well, now it is no the case. My lower back is killing me. I am finding myself kind of stooped over and dragging my feet. The exercises aren't helping. Walking and moving around are the worst. Pain eases a little when lying down. the muscle relaxant I got in March doesn't work for this. I have called my doctor's office, but he is out of town until Monday. I am hoping someone could ease my mind until then.
    Last edited by ali8781; 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM.
    Audra
    Diagnosed at 12
    42T, 52L presurgery
    surgery in 1994: fused form T1-L2, curves corrected to 25T and 25L
    infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

ali-

wish I could offer some good advice, but I haven't been where you're at yet, I can offer you heartfelt sympathy for all you've been through, and I think you've been "through the wringer" ! I am curious what they were looking for when they found your MRI to be negative (for what?) I hope Monday you get some good answers to your pain problems, you deserve it! I would be sitting in his office Monday morning. Good Luck, and some of the other, more experienced members can get you through the weekend... let us know how you do, we do care!!! Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

ali-
      my daughter went to Dr. Morrissey, he did her surgery 3 years ago. We live north of Atlanta and I see Dr. James with Resurgens group. I go to his Cumming office be he is at other locations. He deals with adult scoliosis patients and is fantastic. He trained with my original doctor! I have seen several others around the Atlanta area and he has been the only one that knew what was going on with my back and how to treat it. In the mean time, even though it is hot and humid, try a heating pad or a whirlpool tub. I belong to a therapy pool that is kept at 90 degrees. Soaking in warm water helps.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Because of my abnormal curve (reverse s), Dr. Morrissey want to make sure there wasn't something like a tethered spinal cord causing my scoli. Thats why I had the MRI. I have an appointment on Thursday with Dr. Jeffords at the Resurgens group. He was very nice and understanding in March, so hopefully he will continue to be the same!
        Audra
        Diagnosed at 12
        42T, 52L presurgery
        infection leading to surgery and 10 day hospital stay w/ strong antibiotics 3 weeks later

Comment

Update

Well, one CT scan and 2 doctor visits later I have an answer. Its a combo of muscle acting up (still) and a mild case of arthritis. He actually expected the arthritis to be more severe. So now I have 2 options: continue my exercises and meds or try some cortisone injections in the facet joints. Can anyone who has had this type of injection tell me their experience? I'm just wondering if they are really helpful or if its just a continuous cycle?
          Audra
          Diagnosed at 12
          42T, 52L presurgery

Comment

Facet Joint Injections

Audra,
            Sorry to hear you are in so much pain - so many of us can relate. I had facet joint injections about eight or so years ago and to be honest, they didn't help me at all. This past July, my muscles in my neck/shoulder blade were so tight and painful that my pain management dr. gave me trigger point injections and I was shocked that they worked. He gave me about 5 or 6 injections around the back of my neck and by the side of the scapular and to my surprise it was a world of difference. I don't know if this would help you but when you said it was muscle, that's what came to mind. I also have arthritis in my back (like alot of us do). I hope you get some relief as it's certainly awful to be in this much pain. Take care, LYNN
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I can't help you as far as the injections question goes, but I wanted to suggest swimming. Getting into the water and moving around has been helpful to me, and building up to doing freestyle. It has helped get some gentle movement into the torso, and strenghthen my abdominals. This is something that a physiotherapist could help you with (as far as designing a routine) and could be a useful adjunt to the cortisone injections etc perhaps when you are on your feet a bit more.
              1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
              2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
              2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
              Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
              msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I have gone to Dr. Daniel Danyo in Roswell for injections. He does them in his office and only charges you for an office visit, not outpatient surgery. The injections will last for a couple of months to a year. He does spine and brain rehab and is fantastic. So is his office staff! Dr. James at Resurgeons sent me to him.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                X