Acupuncture after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acupuncture after surgery?

Does anyone know if it's ok to have acupuncture 4 months after surgery? I'm considering it because I'm having a ton of pain. I've never tried it before.

I'm having bad pain just to the left of my spine all the way down. My left shoulder pain is really bad too. The last 2 days the right side of my back started hurting! I think I'm falling apart. The doc hasn't gotten back to me about it. They told me to take Mobic (anti-inflammatory) like I said in an earlier post but it's really not helping much anymore. It's completely unfortable to sit in a chair at work even with a pillow.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Sarah:
    It was a good year and half before I was pain free. I suggest using a pain doc for a few months. I was advised not to use non-steroidals because they interfere with fusion but I do not know whether Mobic fits that category.
    My pain doc helped me use a TENS machine which was wonderful.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Sarah,

I also remember some pain yet at the 4 month post op point. It was kind of a burning type of pain made worse by certain movements. I also could not sit comfortably until about 7 months because of shoulder pain if I hunched over even a bit. My surgeon said that it was the new movements around that area were breaking scar tissue. Also, muscles are being stretched that aren't used to it and also have to be strengthened. I would encourage you to get some gentle physical therapy to help stretch and strengthen these areas. That is what will help it in the long run.

In the mean time, you could use the Mobic temporarily; some of the muscles may be inflamed. Also try ice or heat and muscle rub ointments to see if these help or even light massage of the muscles. This should ease up gradually over the next couple months. It is tough being patient, though, I know. Personally I would use the acupuncture only as a last resort. The new pains coming and going also sound familiar. I would get one area worked out and then another would flare up. Probably all part of the healing.

Deb
      age 48
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for T72, L77 curves

Comment

Hah what a coincidence. I had acupuncture again yesterday and I was talking with him about my surgery that is only a couple of months away. I was a little concerned about whether I should have acupuncture a week before I go into hospital or just give it a miss until long after my recovery is done and finished etc because I thought it may just make me too tender or tired but he encouraged me to come in a couple of days before the surgery and he will make sure every thing's running smoothly & clear the chakra's (i think) to make surgery and recovery an easier process. He also said that if the recovery is taking a little longer than expected or I just feel I need some help along the way, I can come in as soon as I feel comfortable to do so after the surgery.

If I'm able to come in less than a week after mine I don't see how there should be any problems with you having acupuncture four months after yours.

Its the most amazing feeling to walk up the street afterward and just be completely pain free. Of course it doesnt do a thing for my curve but it definitely helps with the pain, if only temporarily.

If you make sure you trust your acupuncturist, he is qualified, has an excellent reputation and experience with scoliosis patients, (in my opinion) it can only do good & i couldn't recommend it highly enough.

That said, do make sure you see a doctor as well
        Em.
        19yo
        Australia
        Surgery 11th December 2007
        t c 60 l c 45

Comment

Thank you so much Karen, Deb and Emma. That was great information!

Karen: The Mobic I'm taking can interfere with the healing of the fusion. The doctor told me to take it sparingly. But that makes me really uneasy. Did you get in touch with a pain doc at the hospital you had the surgery at? I've heard of those from this forum but my doctor has never mentioned it.

Deb: I'll ask my doc if he thinks I can start any kind of therapy this early. He said walking was what I need to be doing but even that makes the pain worse. Therapy sound like the only thing that's going to help though. Or maybe that TENS machine that Karen mentioned...I've never heard of that.

Emma: Did you already have the surgery or are you having it in September?
          { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
          One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
          March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

pain management

I used a pain doc close to home (knew him professionally) but some people use the pain doc at the hospital where surgery was done- if convenient.

Actually, I never even thought of one until I got the suggestion pre-op on the revision forums.(flatbackers).

Revision, with thoracoplasty, is more extensive than a first-time surgery and potentially more painful--and the recovery longer.

Check my previous posts on pain management for more info about pain docs.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
            X