Anti-Inflammatories post-op/ Muscle pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Inflammatories post-op/ Muscle pain

I had my revision surgery 4 mos. ago in March and 2 weeks ago I started having pain in a long line down my back just to the left of my spine. It feels like a strained muscle and sometimes it feels like it's tearing or something. It lasts all day until I take Mobic (an anti-inflammatory the doctor prescribed). But anti-inflammatories inhibit bone growth so my doctor said to take it very sparingly. It completely takes the pain away but is it worth it?

I've also had terrible pain in my left shoulder but that began after my first surgery. It is present again after this 2nd surgery and my doctor thinks it is because I'm thin and so I'm feeling the hardware. He thinks it will go away. But I lived with this pain for 4 years after my first surgery and it never went away. Now I have this new back pain on the same side added to it.

Does this type of surgery just reek havoc on your muscles?
    And does anyone know if taking the Mobic once a day is alright?

Has anyone had this type of pain and been able to get some relief without medication?

thanks for the help!
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday, Sarah. Sorry to hear you're experiencing terrible pain though. I've never had surgery so I can't give you any thoughts, but do hope your pain decreases. Take care.

Chris

Comment

Yes, you will have some muscle pain. That's normal because the muscles get strained during wurgery and it takes time to heal. I love a heating pad when my muscles hurt. I also have a whirlpool tub that I use and I belong to a seniors pool where they kepp the water at 90 degrees. Soaking and exercising in the warm water is a great help. I try to use as little pain medicine as possible and only use it as a last resort. I just did some of the exercise with the water yoga class at my pool. It is a nice gentle stretch and the water takes the pressure of my back while allowing me to get some exercise.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks Chris!!

And that was great advice "Rainbow". I've been dreaming of having a whirlpool tub one day! That would be nice to come home to. Once my doctor lets me get back to normal activities I'll probably check out aqua therapy. The water yoga sounds great.
        { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
        One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
        March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Working...
        X