Kyphosis and Swayback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphosis and Swayback

Anyone have exercises/stretches that help reduce the appearance of kyphosis and swayback- my main conern is actually swayback. When I lay down even with my knees bent my lower back does not touch the floor because it is so serverly arched.

When I go in for scoliosis visits/check ups no doctor seems to be interested or concerned about it but I am.

Just wondering if anyone had success straightening their spine or muscles through exercise or stretching for either swayback or kyphosis.

The arch puts even more pressure on my lower back and those muscles constantly ache. It takes all my strength to try and sit up tall or manipulate my muscles so that my back is no longer arched. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem and had any advice.

Thanks everyone,
    Tracy

Hi Tracey : If you can learn some of the therapeutic Schroth exercises to lenghten and strenghtenen your muscles paraspinalis utilizing two long meters poles and seen yourself in between two mirros you may be able to correct some of your extreme lumbar lordosis . You probably do not want to have a scoliosis with a flat back .
    Hang loose . Betall

Comment

Sorry, I couldn't resist sharing... again. And please, I am not advertising anything... but if you are looking to address/potentially change a "sway back" or kyphosis, this is going to be your best bet. It might even help with the scoliosis... who knows?
      Studies

Structural Integration was created by Dr. Ida P. Rolf. She received her PhD in Biochemistry from Columbia University in 1920. She worked for 12 years at the Rockefeller Institute conducting research in the Chemotherapy and Organic Chemistry departments. She studied mathematics and atomic physics in Zurich and Homeopathic Medicine in Geneva. During the 1930’s Dr. Rolf studied Osteopathy, Yoga, the Alexander Technique, and Korzybski’s work on consciousness. By the 1940’s she developed her work and spent the next 30 years perfecting and teaching it.

A few of the studies done so far:

More recent research conducted at the University of Maryland demonstrated that Rolfing significantly reduces chronic stress and changes body structure. In this study, Rolfing was shown to have significantly reduced the spinal curvature of subjects with lordosis (sway back). The research also indicated that Rolfing enhances neurological functioning.

Project: Children’s Project; three year pilot study in Philadelphia, PA conducted by a group of Rolfers led by Robert Toporek, 1978; monograph “The Promise of Rolfing Children” reported on this study published in 1981. Each child’s photograph before Session 1 and after Session 10 and some two and three years later were shown. A summary of results gathered from interviewing the parents and Rolfer’s comments documented the changes.

Result: This pilot study with children demonstrated that:
      1 A dramatic improvement in the children’s physical, psychological and behavioral patterns had occurred
      2 Consistently parents reported the children had increased confidence, better verbal expression, more self-control and less destructive behavior.
      3 Rolfing is an effective means to address conditions such as cerebral palsy and scoliosis.
      Project: UCLA Department of Kinesiology; five year study conducted by Dr. Valerie Hunt and Dr. Wayne Massey; “A Study of Structural Integration from Neuromuscular, Energy Field and Emotional Approaches” completed in 1977. There were measurements before and after Rolfing of anxiety states, brain hemisphere activity, energy field photography, DC recordings of energy flow in electrical voltage readings, EMG recordings from sixteen separate muscles, electromyograms of neuromuscular patterning of energy, and electronic auric field study.Result: This five-year study produced many results, difficult to summarize adequately in a brief statement. These are a few of the outstanding results:

• Greater physical skill
      • Emotional calmness; decrease in anxiety state
      • Improved social interaction
      • Feelings of well being
      • Memory recall
      • Enhanced ability to access different states of consciousness
      • Increasing right hemisphere brain dominance when needed for right brain activity
      • Evidence of changes in ways of processing data and the nature of thought processes that ensue
      • Greater movement efficiency
      • More energy; less fatigue
      • Improved neuromuscular balance
      • Greater energy flow and balanced distribution of energy
      Project: J. Cottingham, M.S., S. Porges, Ph.D., and T. Lyon, M.D. studied the “Effects of Soft Tissue Mobilization (Rolfing Pelvic Lift) on Parasympathetic Tone in Two Age Groups” at the Frances Nelson Health Center, 1987. Parasympathetic tone was assessed by 1) quantifying the amplitude of the respiratory sinus arrhythmia from the heart rate pattern and 2) measuring heart rate.Result: The pelvic lift increased the tone of the parasympathetic nervous system. This is usually associated with decreased levels of stress.

Peer Journals

“Journal of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine,” March 2000. Certified Rolfers, John Cottingham and Jeffrey Maitland’s research article, “Integrating Manual and Movement Therapy With Philosophical Counseling For Treatment of A Patient With Amyptrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): A Case Study That Explores The Principles Of Holistic Intervention” was published in Dr. Larry Dossey’s “Journal of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine.”

March 1998, Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, editor, Michael Villaire, reviews a Rolfing case study on low back pain originally published in JOSPT.

Sept. 1997, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, “A Three- Paradigm Treatment Model Using Soft Tissue Mobilization And Guided Movement- Awareness Techniques For A Patient With Chronic Low Back Pain: A Case Study”, by Certified Advanced Rolfers, J. Cottingham and J. Maitland; 26(3): 155-167.

Effects of Soft Tissue Mobilization On Pelvic Inclination Angle, Lumbar lordosis, and Parasympathetic Tone: Implications for Treatment of Disabilities Associated with Lumbar Degenerative Joint Disease, Cottingham JT. Public testimony presentation to the National Center of Medical Rehabilitation Research of the National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD; March 19,1992. Rolf Lines 20 (2): 42-45, 1992

A Three-Paradigm Treatment Model Using Soft Tissue Mobilization and Guided Movement-Awareness Techniques For Patients With Chronic Back Pain: A Case Study, J. Cottingham and J. Maitland, The Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy, Vol.26, No.3, Sept.1997

Integrating Manual and Movement Therapy With Philosophical Counseling For Treatment of A Patient With Amyptrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Case Study That Explores The Principles Of Holistic Intervention J. Cottingham, M.S., P.T. and J. Maitland, Ph.D., Alternative Therapies In Health and Medicine, Winter/Spring 2000
      Gerbo,
      For a more comprehensive listing of studies visit http://rolf.org/about/research.htm#rrr. They are not in relation to scoliosis, but it shows clearly that this professional community of 'alternative' therapy is not at all afraid of being evaluated scientifically. There's more credibility than otherwise assumed.

Comment

Structural,

I actually found a person who is certified in structural integration and plan to make an appointment when he moves to his new office location that is closer to where I live.

Thanks,
        Tracy

Comment

Working...
        X