What exactly is BMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is BMP?

Saw my doc yesterday for the first time since both surgeries three weeks ago. I have one problem spot and he said it may be coming from the BMP because it is so caustic. What exactly is BMP made of? Thanks, Krysi

This is a definition I found:

Bone morphogenic protein-2 (BMP-2) is a bioengineered osteoinductive protein that plays an important role in bone growth.

What I understand is that it turns regular cells into cells that are capable of growing bone. It is dessiminated rapidly in the body therefore there have not been any links to cancer or other long lasting complications. The problems I have read about involve the BMP causing bone growth outside of the area it's intended for (for example, it could grow in soft tissue or in the spinal canal), therefore a carrier is used to contain it. I'm not sure of all the methods, but I've seen sponges soaked with BMP and placed in cages, or it's mixed with a putty and placed selectively. Dr Lenke is proposing using it on my daughter, that's why I have an interest in it. I still want to research it more and have a call in to the nurse to see if she can get my questions answered. Nowhere have I read that it's caustic, perhaps it's the putty or other substance used to hold it, I would be interested in finding out exactly what he means by that. Is it causing you a lot of pain? I read your post-surgery message, it sounds like you've had a very rough time and you sound like a strong person who can take quite a lot. I hope you're feeling better by now.

Take care

Comment

Working...
    X