Nicole's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicole's surgery

I posted in the wrong place before. Could some of you experienced patients and parents of patients help me with some of my questions? Is there a difference between screws and hooks? I didn't ask what they use at Shriner's. What is better, titanium or stainless steel? Is it better to use the child's own bone?
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Dear Melissa-

My daughter, who is also 13, is undergoing surgery next week. Her surgeon, Dr. Boachie, decided to go with Titanium. At our pre-op consultation two days ago, he mentioned that he favored the titanium because one can conduct an MRI along with titanium hardware. I have also read elsewhere that it has lower reactivity than steel.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sam

Comment

Thank you, Sam, I will pray for your daugher. Hopefully you can help me through this when you are done. Then I can support someone.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Thanks for the prayers, Melissa. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I learned a lot on this board, and I am still learning a lot as I talk to my daughter's surgeon's and doctors. I remember Linda Racine telling me (very early on when I joined this board) that the best thing I could do was gather information, and I have to say that her advice has helped our family tremendously.

Good luck to you, and your child.

Sam

Comment

Working...
        X