Musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is for Teri

Make sure you hang onto the brace cushion, after Allie comes home from surgery, it will most likely come in handy with comfort etc, giving support sitting in chairs especially hardish chairs and probably when she goes back to school

Comment

You know I have always kept the cushion but I didn't think about it for when she comes home from the hospital. Thanks! I'll get it out. Teri

Comment

I tried the cushion idea in orchestra one day but I found that I would need a giant cushion in order for it to be of any use to lessen the pain in my back since we have to sit near the edge of our chair until our feet can be flat on the floor. For me its really close to the edge as I am barely over 5 foot. It was a great idea! THANKS!! I also find it hard to sit on stools which we do in my drafting class. No back support. Thanks for the idea!!!!!!!!

ellie
        Minnesota Brace
        Curves: 27T/32L
        ~ ~

Comment

I know that for playing violin that you have to sit at the front of the seat for posture and stuff like that, but for the sake of back comfort/support, it may be worth asking the conductor whether you could sit further back in the chair. It may be worth looking around your school to see if there is a chair which has a slightly smaller seat bit (not as long bit that your butt sits on). I don't know what drafts class is, but when I came back after my spine fusion to school, I had problems sitting on a stool, that had no back support in science and art. We went to the school with this predicament and through the disability support that schools get in Australia (you probably have something similar in America) as long as we went out and found a suitable stool, they would pay for it. It was primarly for me, but other students were able to use it too. If you explain your pridicament to your school, they may look at buying one out of their budget.

Alison

Comment

I forgot to add this, for the orchestra out of school, perhaps try and find a chair at home or from other sources and take it to that orchestra.

Comment

Yes, I think I am going to ask my music teacher at school that for next year since we are going to an elementary school to play for them tomorrow. I also don't think will be playing much since it is the last week of school next week. YIPEE!!!! Ya my school sounds like yours. I think I'm just going to let it go this time since we only have a day and a week left of school and the last two days are half days. Though if I end up in an art class or another elective class that uses stools that hurt my back I will definitely go talk to our principal. OO and drafting is when you do blueprints for houses and bulidings. Thank you ssssooooo much for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ellie
              Minnesota Brace
              Curves: 27T/32L
              ~ ~

Comment

I play alto sax...in band, i must mention, i love it to death...and if you ever watch someone playing sax they sometimes have it over to one side...thats how i played for years. it makes me wonder cause thats also the way i lean cause of my curves...but anyway, a few months ago i started playing with my sax in front, between my knees so i wouldnt be leaning as much. and plus i can play louder and control it better, it seems. Anyway, whenever i have to sit up straight for a long time, like for a concert, i get the worst pain in my mid and lower back and its spreads and it really hurts, its less when im playing maybe because im not concentrating on it, but at the end of a piece or durring long rests...arrhg...sometimes i cant take it and i have to lean back in the chair. which makes you look sloppy/lazy and you cant play without sitting up straight anyway. but at the last concert i played at i tried slouching most of the time, since we had to wait through the choir and orchestra and all, and it didnt hurt as much. but thats probably worse, eh? i wish there were left handed saxes. that i could aquiere. ~alison
                upper curve 50
                lower curve 56
                surgery dec 17th 2004

Comment

DRUMS

I HAVE PLAYED DRUMS FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND CONTINUE TO WITH A 60 DEGREE CURVE.................

Comment

Hi... I play the drums and it is very hard for me to sit and play for long periods of time...
                    ~*~KaDi~*~

Comment

I had harrington rod surgery when I was 13 and had already been playing viola. Now at the age of 24 and still a very active violist and harpist in a symphony, mariachi group, and quartet I can offer all you musicians out there some relief. Yes, string players do have to sit at the edge of the seat but having a cushion to sit on does have its benifits especially when performing for hours on end.

Additionally, it is very important to strech before and after playing. Just like you would for sports...this helps keep our bodies in shape. I find that streching a bit during rehearsal breaks helps as well.

There was a time in my life when I wanted to give up music because of the pain I had while performing. It is normal for all musicians to go through this. But, I also believe that music is a form of therapy for us. Don't give up! Keep playing!
                      1992-Double major 59* Cotrel rods placed from T2 to L3 by Misenhimer and Westbrook in El Paso, TX.

Comment

Clarinet

Hi
                        I play the piano and clarinet and before my fusion I found sitting for long periods of time when playing the piano, without a back support and when sitting playing my clarinet in the school orchestra that my back often hurt alot. Although the pain from sitting playing in the school orchestra could be due to my school having alot of "posture" chairs, which are moulded to the shape of the spine so people don't slouch but as I have an irregular posture I find them the most uncomfortable things in the world!
                        Now that I have had my fusion I have no pain whilst playing the piano, although the "posture" chairs do still give me grief whilst playing in orchestra and just sitting in class during school. I did find that when playing my clarinet again after the operation that it was very hard to take long breaths in, due to the fact all my ribs had been broken and I had four removed, has any one else experienced this?
                        Love Jules xxxxx
                        15 with a 50 degree curve
                        Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

tunes?

i used to play flute and piccolo in marching band...and a little piano.....now i make electronic music on the computer....

anybody interested in making a compilation?

youreafark@yahoo.com

Comment

I play mandolin.

Kindest Regards,
                            Gail

Comment

i played flute for marching band this year and for our first concert but now i play tuba for concert season and next marching season i'll be playing tuba i also play a tiny bit of piano and trombone and i had scoliosis now i have 2 rods and i find it hard to sit for long times leaning over music and to breath really deep but i guess you learn to deal with it for your music
                              ~Shannon~
                              Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                              13 months Post-op
                              E-mail me!:
                              starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                              X