Developing Scoliosis? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Scoliosis? Help!

Hey guys. I'm Kevin, 19 years old and am worrying that I might be developing scoliosis or something of the sort. About a month ago I realized that the bottom left side of my ribs were slightly sticking out. I didn't give it much thought then, even my parents thought it was nothing. But as time passed it didn't go away so I started getting concerned. So I do some research on the internet about a "protruding rib" and scare myself about things such as vertebral subluxation, chiropracticy and finally scoliosis. Basically that I might have a curved spine and because of that my rib cage is rotating, correct?

I haven't seen a doctor, physician or anything yet but desperately want to now. However by reading some of the posts here I think I can say that my rib hump isn't severe as normal cases and more importantly there doesn't seem to be any other symptoms such as pain or discomfort. In fact my shoulders and back seem to look straight. My spine also feels straight if I feel it. Also you can't see the hump if I lay down or sit, only if I bend or twist and is even hard to notice while standing. Regardless, I really want to see the right kind of doctor and get properly diagnosed. I'm going to strive for an x-ray also to see how my spine is doing and get to the bottom of this.

Do you think I realized an early developement of scoliosis? Also I'm terrified of surgery and hope it will never come to that in my life so I came here for some answers & help. So if I do have a progressing scoliosis at an early stage is there any treatment for it? Maybe even a couple things I can improve or fix in my lifestyle? Because I don't exactly exercise but I'm healthy and slim; pretty much normal.

And do you know what might've caused this? Lack of exercise? Too much sleep? Not eating properly? Sleeping posture or always sitting in a similar way? Hunching alot perhaps? Will it get worse? Is there any advantage because that the rib hump/scoliosis is very slight/early and that I am young? I'm really scared because I don't want it to get worse and hope there's some way to treat it.

Sorry for such a long story , but I really believe I can get great help here. If anyone can give advice or insight it'd be so much appreicated.
    Last edited by Goodkat; 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM.

3 wisconsin girls

Hi everyone: thank you for your continued support. Dr. Rivard called us yesterday. He doesn't ever recall having a child that didn't respond to some sort of bracing. He has asked me to send him Emma's original film from Sept.06 and her film from last week with Dr. Sanders at Shriner's. We will probably also send him pictures of how the brace is fitted on her. He thinks it might be that she is just too rigid. (can that be at 5yrs old?) Depending on what he sees it appears that he is thinking she shoud be casted in the fall for 3mo. then put back in Spinecor. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this approach. My husband is not for casting or vertebral stapling. I am open to suggestions as I can already see one hip is protruding up and out more than the other side. Still haven't heard from the Chiro yet with Dr. Woggon's response.
    Dawn

Comment

Goodcat,

My husband has mild scoliosis and there was nothing he did to cause it, in his case it's genetic. He has never sought treatment for his scoliosis and does suffer bouts of pain once in a while, I suspect it's muscle spasms or else disc degeneration, who knows Physically, he looks fantastic and I hope to God he doesn't deteriorate as he ages because he is very athletic and I know it would kill his spirit.

Dawn,

You should have posted in the other thread, I almost missed this one. Ann's daughter was placed in a cast for a few months, I don't know if she's still in it but the intention is to go back into the spinecor brace. I believe her daughter was diagnosed at six months with a large curve and the last I heard, the curve was down to twenty something in the cast. My daughter was in casts for the longest time and it isn't a big deal at all -it's basically just a torso cast and clothing conceals it very well.

Last edited by Celia; 05-23-2007, 10:30 AM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
      X