Pain control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain control

What do most of you use for pain control. It is just recently that I find that I need something to ease the pain in order to function. My doctor has prescribed Tylenol3's and percocet. Both take the edge off when I'm sitting still but don't touch the spasms that I get when I'm moving. I've tried to explain this to my Dr but he says that anti-spasm meds don't work. There has to be something that can help with the spasms though, isn't there?

muscle relaxants

My physician's assistant prescribes Tylenol 3 as a pain killer but she always also gives me a muscle relaxer for the spasms. Originally I was taking flexarall sp?. For some reason the flexerall was making my restless leg syndrom increase dramatically. so for now I am trying valium as the muscle relaxer. she has been prescribing 3 items for me for a couple years now, a NSAID (celebrex), pain killer and muscle relaxer.

Comment

Carisoprodol

Last week my cousin was having horrendous lower back spasms. I picked up a prescription (muscle relaxer) for him called "Carisoprodol" on Friday and he was so much better Sunday when I saw him. Perhaps you can speak to your doctor about that medicine. Feel better...
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

kjcmour,
        I would personally change Drs. There are several very good drugs on the market made for muscle spasms. I would push harder with your doc. Tell him you want to at least try one.

jasper79,
        Restless Leg Syndrome is a sleep disorder. Instead of masking the syptoms of RLS with an additive drug like Valium, ask to try Mirmax. I have had RLS for many years and the Mirmax (perscribed by my sleep doc) works like a charm. It is non additive also. Since sleep disorders are also very specilized your PA may not be aware of it.
        SandyC

Comment

Rls

SandyC
          Is Mirmax a muscle relaxor or something you take for sleep issues?
          I use the valium very sparingly because of the addiction potential.
          Thanks

Comment

A heating pad works wonders. So does a whirlpool tub. I go to a therapy pool where they keep the water at 90 degrees and just sitting in the warm water helps. It is also great for exercising my back without putting stress on it. Strengthing the muscles will help the spasms.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Jasper,
              Mirapex was orginally for Parkinsons. But doc's found out that it works for RLS. It is not a narcotic nor a sleeping pill. What is does do is stop the creepy crawl/tingling/tighting and that is all. I take 2 a day. I take 1 at about 5-6pm just before the RLS starts and then again just before bed. If you have RLS you more than likely have PLM also (periodic limb movement). If you find yourself waking at night for no appearent reason or if you have a sleeping partner and they are complaining about you kicking all night you have PLM. You might think about seeing a sleep doctor.

Ranibow is right about the warm water and heating pads. But they provide only tempory relief.
              SandyC

Comment

Plm

I do have jumping and jerking in my legs through the night. It wakes me up at times! My husband sleeps deeply but every so often tells me my legs are jerking all over the place while I sleep!

Comment

Jasper,
                  Yep, you need to see a sleep doc to have your RLS/PLM treated. You will feel better. You don't realize that your not sleeping well at night. What's happening is your waking up and not even aware that you are. It will also help with the pain (sleep)
                  SandyC

Comment

Working...
                  X