Patrick's surgery in just 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick's surgery in just 2 days

I just wanted to let you all know that Patrick's surgery date is finally arriving on May 16th. I have a constant feeling of butterflies in my stomach and am feeling very panicky like I should be doing something but don't know what. It seemed so far away at one time and now the day is practically here. This whole thing has such a surreal feel to it that sometimes I wonder if I'm not just dreaming that my child will be having scoliosis surgery. Man, how does anyone sleep the last few nights. I have been drifting off to sleep the last few nights and then I will jolt wide awake thinking nasty operation thoughts. How do you get past this or is it just something that has to happen?
    I envision myself totally loosing it the morning of the surgery and dragging my son off the operating table. I know I won't do this but the thought is there. I am feeling so emotionally drained with all the waiting and anticipation and sadness and helplessness. I should be the strong one here and I do try to be for the sake of Patrick, but really , he has me beat on strength. He is my little hero and I pray for him to recover fast and uneventfully. I will let you know when I can how he is doing. Thank-you to all who gave such great advice and guidance along our journey.
    Ramona
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

good wishes for patrick

Dear Ramona,

I can understand the many emotions you are experiencing - my daughter is having surgery on June 13 and as the day draws closer I feel more anxious (about the challenges of having a surgery) as well as relieved (that she will recieve the help she needs). It's not an easy situation. Nonetheless, you have made it all the way here, and I am sure you will make it through the rest of the way too.

Patrick sounds like an amazing kid. I will be saying prayers for him (and you), and wishing him a speedy recovery. Do keep us posted on his surgery and recovery.

Best wishes,

Sam

Daughter's kyphosis surgery June 13th, 2007 Dr. Boachie, HSS

Comment

Dear Ramona

I'll be in your shoes soon, I think I'll be feeling the same as the day gets closer.

I will be thinking of you and your son and wish you the best. Please try to post an update when you have a chance.

Take care
      Last edited by Sherie; 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Ramona:

Just 10 months ago I was in your same shoes. My heart hurts for you remembering how hard it was to get thru those sleepless nights before the surgery, and then the moment when they wheeled my son into the OR and he was in the surgeon's hands. Just take one day at a time, then an hour at a time, and remember to breathe! Know that you WILL get thru this, and everything will turn out just fine! So many of us have been there and you are not alone. My thoughts and many extra prayers are with you and your son!
        Laurie
        mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Ramona,
          you are almost to your son's surgery date now. I had my surgery last August & the final days to surgery are unreal & surreal! Of course in my case, I worried about my 2 boys & husband & coming out good for them.
          There was a young girl (about 14) going to surgery next to me & we were divided by a curtain. I heard her mom encouraging her & it was so sweet that I was ready to cry. Her mom held it together until she was wheeled in.
          I asked when I was somewhat with it after my surgery & she did great!
          I'll be thinking of you all & all my best for a good recovery for your son! Lynne

Comment

Hi,
            I haven't posted in a long time but tears came to my eyes when I read your post. My daughter will be 1 year post op tomorrow. We had to do this twice after a small mis-hap during the first surgery in 11/05. I prayed with everything in me that I would hold it together for my daughter. God is good! The morning of her surgery I did great. I was unusually calm. In the months, weeks and days before her surgery I would just totally break down when I was at home alone and beg God to keep me strong. He did!

Your son will be in good hands and he will be just fine! We had lots of friends and family come and wait with us during the surgery. After the surgery we asked that we get very few visitors as my daughter was totally not up to any visitors. There were some rough moments in the hospital and after we got home. I set an alarm at night and gave her pain medicine every 4 hours even if she didn't ask for it. Stay ahead of the pain. Make him move. I was the enemy and at times she got so mad at me but I made her keep moving even if it was just to walk to the front door and back to bed. At the hospital the nurses didn't get her up all that much so the 2nd time around, I got her up and made her walk down the hall and back everytime she woke up. She did great! Movement also gets the bowels moving and that was our biggest problem.

My prayers are with you.
            Cheryl
            NCM

Comment

Good luck

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
              Spencer's Dad

11 year old boy with PMD Luekodystrophy
              Nonambulatory, nonverbal, nonweight bearing
              VRO and Pemberton hip reconstruction at age 5
              Nissen fundo at at age 7
              Subdermal spinal drug pump at age 9
              Complete Spinal Fusion Jan. 9, 2007 at age 10.
              118 degree curve before surgery - less than 25 after!!

Comment

I know how you are feeling my son is 3 and has surgery on his back pritty much every 4 months .What I do is pray I have to keep in my mind that Gods angels are whith my son guieding the surgens hands.I have to keep that in my mind or I start thinking bad thoughts. When they took James back the first time I fell to the floor my husband picked me up.It is very normal to have angsiaty maybe the doc can prscrib some meds for that.

Comment

I can totally relate to what you're going through. My son is scheduled for two tentative surgery dates. He's 12, with congenital scoliosis, but is totally "normal" in every way except his spinal curves. We're going for a 4th opinion about the surgery tomorrow. I can't seem to find a surgeon who I feel I can totally trust. I'm up late at night & early in the morning with the sick, "butterflies" feeling you describe. But enough about me.

I will send you, & esp. Patrick, all the positive vibes/energy I can. From the posts I've read, he seems like a really great guy. I wish him the best outcome possible & will wait to hear about it when you write again.

Laurie
                  Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                  Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                  Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Ramona,
                    Praying that all went well with Patrick's surgery and that you are staying strong for him.

Cheryl
                    NCM

Comment

Working...
                    X