Monday's the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday's the day

Well, I'm wrapping things up at home and getting ready for my surgery on Monday. Every so often I get the jitters, but since this is the third time around I kind of know what to expect. I had to stop taking my NSAIDs and other pain meds, so the past two weeks have not been pleasant pain-wise. I also had some last minute pulmonary tests to take care of. A new primary care physician handled my pre-op tests. I had been told he was very thorough, and he just wanted to double-check some things with my breathing. He said I didn't have to have the tests right away and they wouldn't affect my surgery (we suspect it's a touch of spring allergies on top of any reduced lung function I have from scoliosis) but I wanted to get the tests done and off my to-do list anyway. So I'm a little behind schedule with laundry, packing, etc. And if the pain isn't too bad, I might try to get my dahlias in the ground this weekend. I just don't know when to stop ...

Best wishes to my surgery partners next week - Brynn, Lori, and anyone else scheduled. I'll try to post as soon as I can sit up long enough. Oops - I forgot - I won't be able to sit!
    Trulyaries
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Dear Trulyaries,

I'll be thinking of you and sending my best "energy" for your surgery on Monday, the day before mine. You're an expert at this already, and I suspect you'll do fine. Thanks for the best wishes. I'm doing remarkably OK in the past couple of weeks. I'll probably post about why this weekend.

With Warm Wishes,

Brynn

Comment

Dear trulyaries, good luck and thanks for all your info on the living alone thread. Looking forward to an update as soon as you can
      take care
      Gen
      Gen, aged 49
      Thoracic curve approx 64*
      Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
      Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Good Luck Trulyaries on your upcoming surgery. Mine is the following Monday. We will be leaving Houston and driving to Amarillo on Wednesday. I have my pre-op on Thurs and then we'll have a coming days for summer vacation (this is really getting old! This summer.... surgery, last summer.... none, but didn't go anywhere because I had started an intensive PT session. The summer before that.... my first revision surgery. The one before that..... my first scolio surgery A/P, and the year before that..... hysterectomy! I hope this one gets everything right! Dr. LaGrone will be doing an osteotomy at L2, extending my fusion from S1 to S2 or 3. Putting in pelvic instrumentation. I did have some abnormalities on my CT Myleogram but he said it shouldn't change the over all plan. My aniexty has kicked in so I went and got a refill on my aniexty meds and it has helped alot. Just about have everything done at work that I can get finished. I am having to show someone else how to run the final report cards, do the daily attendance and reporting, and giving the responsibilty of the students cumulative folders over to someone else. Plus trying to get everything ready for PK/KN registration in early August. I know I will be pushing it for early August but I will probably do just partial days. Good Luck again!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa - Sounds like you will have way more hardware - and scars - than I do! I'm just looking forward to getting better so that I can take some vacations. I can't remember my last real one. Good luck to you - I'm sure all will go well!
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Trulyaries,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'll be thinking of you on the big day.

Janet
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Good luck to a fellow Michigander!

Hi Trulyaries,

I live in Grand Rapids and had my 1st surgery here almost 10 months ago now at the age of 48. Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. I am still pretty stiff and sore at times, but glad I had it done.

Deb
              posterior surgery 7/24/06
              for S curve T72, L77
              50% correction
              DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!

Comment

Will be thinking of you today and sending you positive thoughts. Doing this the third time definitely makes you a "professional" back surgery patient. Perhaps during your recovery you should consider writing a sequel to David Wolpert's book and capitalize on your achievement.

Best wishes,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X