"bye, bye" brace!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "bye, bye" brace!!!!

Today I finally got rid of my brace!!! The reason was not because I dont need it but right before surgery they want to clear my back of all acne (sort of gross, but true). So today I got a surprise visit to the dermitologist because the docters were freaking out about my back because during surgery they didnt want any bacteria affecting my surgery. So now I am on 6 pills a day. 4-iron, 2-back acne stuff. They dont want me to wear my brace because first of all surgery is in 2 weeks and the medicine (topical lotion) will work better if it can "breathe". my back also cant sweat because that will just make more bacteria. I guess what I am trying to say is because of my back gross stuff I no longer have to wear my brace!
    I actually have mixed emotions. I am so happy to wear normal clothes again before surgery, and I can act myself without people finding out about my brace. But on the other hand I miss my brace. I know compared to others I havent worn it as much (one year) but I actually feel empty with out it...kinda weird I know. Right now as I type I feel really weird without it and I feel like something is wrong and I need to put my brace on. My back sort of hurts too, but I still cant believe I was more sad then happy when I found out I couldnt wear my brace anymore. Check in soon!
    ~Jill
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

Soo weird!
    Yeah,isn't that soo weird.

When I got rid of my brace becuaseI started ASCO treatment if felt like something was wrong and my back hurt (just like your) and I too have acne all over my back (mainly on the top) . It felt like an "emotion" bond with it, and even though I knew I didn't have to wear it I always had the feeling of "I have to put my brace on soon. I have to put my brace on soon!"

Don't worry that feeling goes away really quickly.It took me about a week to forget about it

Comment

That's exactly how I feel. I feel like I need to put my brace on, and that I am doing something wrong because I cant put it on. Yeah, I do have an emotional bond with it. My back also hurts so much too! I am also slouching a lot and leaning towards my left a lot. Oh well, I guess I can wear normal clothes again. But I really feel like what you said that I really need to put my brace on soon, but I cant. Talk to you later.
      ~Jill
      T4-T12

Comment

hey i have spots on my back too but only since i got BOB just thought i'd randomly let you know!
        Bored of BOB!
        Curve 47 degrees and is lower lumber.
        6-8 months until "bonfire night"

Comment

Near the end of my time wearing my brace I was only wearing it at night. When I was about a week from surgery and didn't have to wear it anymore, I definately missed it. I liked the support and warmth it gave me at night. I still have it in my room...I just can't let it go!
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Yeah, I know how you feel!!!
            ~Jill
            T4-T12

Comment

Just wanted to Jump in and say I've been brace free for a while now! I know exactly what you guys are sayin about not wantin to let it go, but believe me, It feels great to be able to get out and do things, Go shopping is the best part, because you can toss out those baggy tshirt,sweatpants and stretchy clothes! i couldnt be happier now, being My surgery was 11-2-1995, 8 1/2 years ago, i was 15 when the surger happened...wore the brace from 1991-1996! Believe me, you'll wanna throw a bon fire lol
              Kristin Morelock
              Surgery November 1995

Comment

Hatty,
                Who's BOB?

Comment

I think BOB is a brace...just guessing
                  T4-T12