brace after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brace after surgery?

did those of you that have already had at least one surgery know beforehand that you were going to need a brace? and if so, when did you get fitted for it, afterwards? logical, but sounds painful...my doctor hasnt mentioned it and i wonder when they consider one to be necessary... thanks Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Hi Lisa, I had my surgery 9 weeks ago today. My surgeon informed me that I would have to wear a brace at my pre-op appt. I got fit for my brace the day after surgery. It was painful, but the physical therapy lady was gentle.

Comment

Lisa,

I've had two surgeries already and didn't wear a brace with either one of them. The doctor did say before the first surgery that I may need to wear a brace. But when the surgery was done he said I didn't need to. Going in for # 3 in a couple of weeks and Dr. LaGrone said no brace.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

thanks amber-

i hope your recovery is going great !! did your individual case seem to necessitate the brace, due to size of fusion, your age, etc...? i think i would welcome the feeling of safety of one...are they hard plastic that is heat formed like splint? are you still wearing it? i sure have a lot of questions, huh????? thanks again
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees

Comment

hello theresa-

well, i guess size of curve does not determine the need for a brace, maybe the individual doctor... how do you like Dr. Lagrone? i was so surprised that there was a doctor of his caliber up there in my old back yard of amarillo, as i came from dumas, which is only 40 miles north of there- sometimes i wish i had checked with him first, but i did not realize he was so well known until i had set up surgery in dallas.. i have family within 30 minutes of amarillo if you should need anything... thank you..
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees

Comment

thank you very much. It's been rough at times, but I'll get through it. I was 24 when I had my surgery and fused from T5-L5. My surgeon wanted me to wear the brace to support my back. I'm only allowed to take it off if I'm laying in bed or taking a shower. I've included a picture of my brace in this post. Yes, I am still wearing it and I hopefully will no longer have to wear it in 3 weeks (my 3 month post-op appt.). I should be starting therapy at that time. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Comment

Well, it's never to late to change your mind, He will also review your films and x-rays and let you know what he thinks.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Back when I had my surgery, I wore a bodycast for 9 months! Things have changed for the better. My daughter had 2 rods put in, one on each side of her spine, so she did not need a brace. Her doctor said if she had only one rod put in then she would have needed a brace post-op.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I did not need a brace for my first two surgeries, but wore one after the third surgery for about 6 or 8 weeks (I don't remember exactly how long). I had the brace before the surgery, so the doctor just had me keep using it after the surgery. It was not molded, it was just a LSO with hard plastic inserts. (You can see a picture of it here, I did not have the optional thoracic extension on mine: http://www.vqorthocare.com/Products_...20and_TLSO.pdf) It was basically for added support and pain relief and not ment to hold the curves.

Comment

I also did not have a brace after my first two surgeries, but my surgeon told me I will have one after my third. I don't know what kind it will be; my doc says he will determine that after the surgery is over. By the way, this surgeon is a different one than I had for the first two surgeries. Different approaches?
                    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

good idea to pack some t-shirts......

well, since i won't know if i will be braced until after i leave home for the surgery, i guess i'd better pack some snug t-shirts that won't bunch up, or tank tops?
                      thanks for sending the links and pics- sure helps to demistify these things. Lisa
                      Lisa age 47
                      T curve 69 degrees

Comment

After my first surgery, the brace man came in and measured me while I was laying in my hospital bed. It was like two days post-op. Absolutely nothing to it. I wore t-shirts under mine but mine was a little different than the one shown. Mine went up under my arms as well and was solid the whole way around. I didn't like the thoughts of having to wear one but afterwards I was glad to have it. I could do so much more with it on.

Comment

Working...
                        X