appetite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appetite?

I'm 9 mths post-op & wondering if anyone else at this stage was still low on appetite???? I'm am still not eating like I used to & while I love being thin, I wish I would regain my love of food. By the way, I am on no pain killers since 4 mths. I wish so much I could enjoy cooking gourmet meals like I used to before surgery!!! thks, Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I sent you a pm.

Deb

Comment

hi

thsi made me laugh cos i have the opposite problem-i cant stop eating he he...or maybe im just greedy

Comment

lost weight

I am worried about how thin I am. About a month ago I weighed myself and I was 120 lbs (before surgery I was 130 lbs) now nearly at three months post op I am now 115 lbs, I am all bony and flat. My appetite has decreased. How long does it usually take start gaining weight back?

Sue

Comment

Sue,

Try not to worry about it. Your body is doing alot of mending and is using alot of calories repairing itself. Have you tried just drinking some milk shakes or smoothies? I didn't really have an appetite for a few months. Just make sure that you eat at every meal. For breakfast I would have a couple of scrambled eggs, lots of protein to build those muscles up. Lunch I had the little frozen Healthy Choice meals. Not the big meals, just the little ones, they were just the right amount of food. My husband usually fixed dinner or brought food in and I usually turned it into 2 meals. Have some little sweet snacks like you like to eat for in between. Your appetite will come back slowly and before you know it you are up at IHOP or DENNY'S for the big breakfast and you finish everything on your plate!!! Just remember that even though we aren't doing much but laying around, your insides are working like crazy trying to get better!!!!
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I have to agree with Theresa, about our bodies using alot of calories while healing!!! I went from 130 lbs to 90 lbs after my surgery. And my appetite didn't really come back for about 11 months to a year.

Now I'm sorry it did, because my metabolsim has obviously changed, and so has my level of activity. I always stayed between 110 and 115 and now I'm 129, and I'm not happy with that.

I find it strange that I was always ashamed of my body because of my back and now that my back looks good, I feel chubby!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Lynn! You and I had our surgeries at approx. the same time and I have my appetite back and then some!! I can't seem to stop eating...especially sweets for some reason. I was around 117lbs pre-surgery and then went down to 98lbs afterwards. Now I'm around 108 but my stomach is still pretty swollen from what I'm hoping is the surgery and not eating like a maniac. My incision was on my left side where they took out a rib so they said I would have swelling for a while, but I didn't think 9months! So even though I haven't gained all my weight back, I feel like I'm huge in the tummy area. I think just that everyone's bodies are different and hopefully you'll get your appetite back soon! If I could give you some of mine I sure would!
              Elisha
              http://360.yahoo.com/elishadunaway
              Scoliosis diagnosed at 14, curve was 22 degrees, wore Boston brace for a couple years.
              Left lumbar curve has now progressed at age 33 to approx. 50 degrees and surgery is scheduled with Dr. Alexis Shelokov at Baylor Hospital in Plano, TX for July 27, 2006.
              pre-op curve: 50 degrees
              post-op curve:15 degrees!!

Will be praying that the Great Physician will guide all of our doctors' hands!

Comment

thanks all! I felt like I was back to normal today & eating more. But I still don't eat the amounts I used to. Maybe something to do with re-positioning the organs?? who knows...Lynne

Comment

Working...
                X