having rods removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having rods removed

I am supposed to be having my rods from my first scoliosis surgery removed. I am having them removed because a hook at the end of one of them popped off. It's only recently that I have been experiencing discomfort from this and so my doctor has recommended that I have the rods removed.

Has anyone out there ever had rods removed? If so, what was that like? How did the surgery compare to the first one? Are you glad you did it? How long was the recovery? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. My doctor has basically said surgery is up to me. If it hurts then we should take the rods out. If it doesn't then I'm fine. In terms of pain I'm sort of in between, it's not terrible, but it's there all the time.

Anybody who can give me some info, please help

Hi...

If you go to the forums home page (click on the home link in the upper right hand corner of this page), you'll find a SEARCH box in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Type REMOVAL in that box, and you'll find several other threads on the subject. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks linda I have already found some helpful info!

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, My dad had a similar problem. His rods pulled from the spine because of things done at work. He had only part of his rods removed and is doing good.

Comment

Thanks Mary,

Yeah it seems that most people who have had rods removed have said it's a much easier surgery and are glad they did it. It's good to hear your dad is doing well.

Jeff

Comment

jls304 ,
            I hae not had surgery before but I just wanted to say I hope you stop having pain and everything works out!

Comment

I had a harrington rod removed a number of years ago and was very glad I did so. It was pinching a nerve in my leg and making it difficult to walk. Another surgery removed some screws and that felt wonderful to have out.

In the first case, the recovery took a long time and I was off work for 3 months, the second case was only a few weeks. The recovery period depends on how extensive your surgery is.

Good luck!

Jean

Comment

Jean,

I'm glad to hear that having your rods removed has worked out well for you. Thank you so much for your response. It makes me feel a lot better to hear people have had this done and it's worked out pretty well for the most part.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X