Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral instead of bone grafts

Hi
    Haven't been on for a week or two as my daughter thought of another way to make our lives exciting: she went down with pneumonia and fitted for an hour and a half. For a while I really wasn't sure she was going to come out of it but she has bounced back and has gone back to school today, seemingly none the worse.
    So, I'm back to putting together my questions for my daughter's consultant.
    Has anyone out there come across coral being used as an artificial bone graft for spinal fusion? Anyone any experience of it?
    Thanks,

Lorrie

Hi,
    I have a question........why would you want to use coral? It isn't a substance that is not naturally occuring in the body. Wouldn't you risk regection (sp) and end up with more surgery?
    SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

Hi
      From what I've read, rejection isn't a problem because of the way the coral is treated chemically before it's used so it becomes a completely inert substance providing a medium with the same structure as bone to provide a framework for new bone to grow.

The advantages are that it reduces surgery time and avoids the need for bone to be harvested for the graft so reducing the extent of the surgery and pain afterwards.

Lorrie

Comment

Working...
      X