Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone been told specifics about mattresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone been told specifics about mattresses?

I was wondering if anyone's doctor told them the best kind of mattress for surgical patients, or if it is really makes any difference.(i have a feeling my waterbed might have to bite the dust, but i can hope...? lisa... p.s. has anyone heard from azalea since her surgery?
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Yeah I've always heard waterbeds are bad for ANYBODY's back so I would think it would be a really bad idea for people like us. I bought a 3in. memory foam mattress pad for my bed and it is amazing! My boyfriend also gave one to his mother for christmas and she said her back has never felt better. You can buy them relatively cheap at overstock.com.
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

I too had a waterbed before my surgery, but my surgeon said that I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't do a good job at supporting my back. My doctor suggested a firm one.

Comment

i was afraid of that...

thanks to both of you for your help ... i hate to give up the comfort of not laying on bony ribs and back, but.....maybe tempurpedic or something that cushions? thanks- Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Tempurpedic

Lisa, I have a Tempurpedic and I absolutely love it. A huge difference for me when I changed to it. Some people feel it's a bit too warm, but I'm extremely comfortable. LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

We bought a Sleep Number when I was 4 months post op and neither of us will ever buy another mattress! Most people talk about firm mattresses being good for their backs, but I sleep on a very soft setting (a 25 out of 100) and my back has never felt better. We tried a high quality foam topper, but it just didn't work for me. Each person's back will respond differently, so it will be up to what you feel is most comfortable.

Consumer Reports suggests laying on different mattress types and firmness settings for at least 15 mins before deciding on a purchase. We did this and it really does make a difference when shopping. Mattresses that felt good at first, became uncomfortable after 15 mins so it was on to the next one and then the next, etc until we got to the Sleep Number store. Definitely try different types and firmness settings and try shopping on days when your back feels bad to get a better idea of how the mattress will feel.

Comment

the mental picture....

i thought about mattress shopping with my husband and lying on them for 15 minutes... that is a good idea! but, to truly get a feel for it, i will have to take along a remote for my husband to hold on to like a security blanket.. hehe.. thanks for the info, i have to get it right the first time, i bet they are expensive ! Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees

Comment

My physical therapist actually told me that softer is better because it allows my rib hump to sink into the softness, making my laying-on-back posture the same as when standing straight, as opposed to a firm mattress which wouldn't allow the rib hump to sink and therefore would create a "twisted" posture as I'm sleeping. Sorta hard to explain, but it makes sense to me.

Comment

funny you should say that...

thanks for your input..i have pretty much decided that i have to camp out on the couch on a modified foam mattress pad. my husband is a day sleeper and i need to be away from him so he can sleep...Lisa
                  Lisa age 47
                  T curve 69 degrees

Comment

I asked my surgeon's assistant about the memory foam mattress topper (about 2 inches thick and costs about $200.) , and they said preferably a firm mattress and the topper would be fine - whatever feels most comfortable and gives most support is what they answered. Joyce or if it is really makes any difference.(i have a feeling my waterbed might have to bite the dust, but i can hope...? lisa... p.s. has anyone heard from azalea since her surgery?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hot mattresses

My husband hated the heat of the Tempurpedic mattress, so we had to buy a different one after just a year or so. Even though we have air conditioning, it was just too hot in the summer. I fear the Sleep Number would also feel hot since it is plastic.

Don't overlook the option of sleeping with a pillow under your knees. I've lost track of how many years ago I started doing this - more than 10 - my fusion with Harrington rods was done more than 30 years ago. I also take Ibuprofin at bedtime, which does help me get to sleep better.
                      Last edited by JulieBW; 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM.
                      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I could not find a fine mattress were I can get a good night's sleep. I guess soft suits me however I'm still suffering.
                        w/curves of 75 degrees Fused T2-L3 in 1999 at Age 14, Fine job done by Dr. Paul Sponseller at John Hopkins Medical - Baltimore, Maryland.

Comment

JulieBW - We have the Sleep Number and there are many inches of foam and a matress pad between you and the air bag part of the bed (or the "plastic" part that I assume you are referring to). That cotton mattress pad and the foam allows for air to circulate beneath you. My DH is always warm but in the 2 years that we've had the bed, he has never had a problem with being too warm while sleeping.

Comment

I just got a new memory foam mattress and slept on it for the first time last night.... aaaahhhhhhhhhh relief!!!!!!!!

I bought it online (PM me if u want details) and only paid 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a Tempurpedic from a local mattress store. It fluffed up to 14 inches of firm but soft height. I topped it with a thick mattress pad to prevent the heat that i heard mentioned here earlier.... Used my existing box springs.... Slept heavenly!!!

First time in a long time that hubby woke up without a headache too.

Comment

We've had a Select Comfort(sleep number) bed for over 10 years now. Its great, I can change firmness depending on how my back feels. My husband can decide on how firm his side is. It is definitely not too hot or too cold (doesn't need to be heated like a waterbed). You do not need to buy the special boxspring if you have a waterbed base. It also is not all that expensive compared to a good quality standard type of mattress. My parents(both have had back surgery years ago) had theirs before we got ours and my sister and her husband both have bad backs and got one too. There is a free trial period, and it is very light to move or set up. Hope this is helpful.
                              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                              (left open with just clear dressing)
                              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
                              X