Post Pregnancy Back, Rib and Hip pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Pregnancy Back, Rib and Hip pain

Hi, I am new to this site and very glad to know others with similar concerns. I had no difficulties during the pregnancy, but the experience right after has me rethinking having more (well, that and my age -- ). My questions are (1) whether you have found the muscle-loosening effects of pregnancy to worsen your scoliosis symptoms or or degree of curvature afterward? and (2) what have you done to re-strengthen your back and lessen the symptoms?

I am 42 and have a 10 month old. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 13 and refused to wear the suggested brace (milwaukee, I think) because of vanity. I now have s-shaped scoliosis of some degree in the 23-27 range, I think. It's noticeable at the shoulder and shoulder blade area; one side of my chest is a little "sunken in." Admittedly, my scoliosis is milder than some of the cases I gleaned here and I never thought much about it until I had my son. Right after his birth I had excruciating pain in my midback (in the middle, just below my shoulder blades) which prevented my taking deep breaths; and lasted for about three weeks despite my taking motrin, advil, and having chiropractic adjustments. I could not walk or stand and had to stay in bed for three weeks. Since then, I've had right hip pain which sent me to the doctor. This new orthopaedist advised me for the first time that my right leg is 1/4 inch longer than my left (which may account for my constantly sprained right ankle and right sore knee). Also, I had very good posture before my pregnancy and now I have a swayback (lordosis). HEEELLLLP!!

I've read up a bit on lordosis curves and have learned that there are gentle stretches and excercisies that help. I found at a health fair that my lordoisis curve is a bit big so I started some isometric excercises and stretches that I've been taught, it really does help the pain. So does walking. If you can I would suggest getting help from a physical therapist. They can teach you the proper excercises that will help. If you gained weight during pregnancy you might consider trying to los it. I'm overweight and it causes a great deal of discomfort, not only in my back but my knee, feet and hip areas as well. I hope this gives you an idea of where to go!

Oh, one more idea. Warm water excercising is wonderful! It's lad by a PT and is designed to be very gentle. The warm water pool eases the muscles and cushions the excercising.

Comment

Thanks so much, MaryK!! I have tried some yoga and rubber ball sit-ups -- although, I admit, not regularly. Are they like isometrics? They helped a little, but my posture and low back discomfort didn't improve. I wonder if "earth shoes" might help since they're lengthening the spine? (Just thinking out loud.)

My weight is okay, so I don't think that's it, but I'll definitely try the warm weater exercises. They seem more my speed than what I've done so far.

Thanks, again, for the new ideas.

Comment

warm water exercises

good day. i would like to ask mr markK, what is warm water exercises. How to do it?thank you very much.

Maria Cecilia Beato
        mariaceciliabeato@yahoo.com
        Maria Cecilia Beato
        348 Roosevelt Ave., SFDM Quezon City, Philippines
        Tel. No. +6323748247 / +639228082763
        Idiopathic Scoliosis "S" 48/37 degrees
        with L5, S1 radiculopathy
        mariaceciliabeato@yahoo.com

Comment

My hips and between my shoulder blades is where I incur most of my scoliosis pain. have found that pilates and swimming are the two types of exercises that help ease and prevent the pain by strengthening those areas. I am having my correction surgery pre-baby to help prevent the problems that could accompany a pregnancy too. (And to make more room for baby so my heart and lungs and intestines don't get more squished than they already are!)

Good luck to you!
          Meg is Spinewhine
          31 years old with thoracic curve
          Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
          Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
          http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X