Allergic reaction to medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic reaction to medicine?

Has anyone ever experienced an allergy to medicine and did this happen to you? When I got home from the hospital 5 weeks ago I noticed a red oval on the back of my arm. It didn't hurt or itch, it was just red in the same spot for about 2 weeks. It looked like there was a pin prick right in the middle which reminded me of a spider bite but I knew it had to be something related to the surgery. My doc said it was probably from one of the many tiny needles that they had in me during the operation for the EKG or neuromonitor.

It went away for a week or two and then suddenly flared up last Friday into a really bad, itchy rash. I've kind of felt slightly itchy all over too. They think I might have developed an allergy to codeine. Since the surgery I've taken Vicodin, Tylenol 3, and Tuesday I took one Darvocet (all of which have codeine I believe) but stopped everything after that. I can't see a dermatologist until Monday so I'm wondering what to do about this until then!? Thanks
    Last edited by SARAHK; 04-20-2007, 11:56 AM.
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

weird, i don't know... you could try taking benedryl or putting some sort of a cream antihistamine on it...
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

thanks! I tried Benedryl the last 2 nights and that seemed to help.
      { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
      March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Darvocet does not contain codine - i'm allergic to codine and darvocet is a pain medicine I can take.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks for the help. Went to the dermatologist and they said it wasn't a reaction to the medicine. They think it must be from a patch or needle they had on me during the operation...weird. Hopefully that's all it is.
          { sarah }

Comment

I get adhesive burns from band-aids. They look like a burn then they go dry and they hurt. So yours could have been from the tape holding the needle down?
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Like rainbow2010 said, it could be a reaction to the adhesive used to hold the needle in place during your surgery too.

I had no reactions to anything with my fusion surgery; however, I just had my gall bladder removed on 4/12 and 5 days later, I noticed dark red squares around the two incision sites on my belly. The marks and the surrounding areas itched like crazy!!!! I've been told by my surgeon and several nurses that it's a reaction from tape used during the surgery and on the plastic band-aids that covered the areas following surgery. They all told me to use cortizone cream 2-3 times a day, washing the areas with soap and warm water each time before I put more cream on. It's worked very well and the itching and swelling has gone down quite a bit. I hope you find some relief as well.

Comment

Still confused

Thanks Heidi. It was weird because it didn't hurt or itch at all at first. It was just a red oval on my arm for 2 weeks after the surgery. Then it went away and came back as a rash. Anyway like I said I started taking the medicine again (Darvocet) because the dermatologist said it was definitely not a reaction to any of the meds, but last night I felt like I was short of breath and "drugged" is the only thing I can think of after taking it. It was a very weird feeling. My throat wasn't closing up but I just felt a little short of breath. So now I'm thinking maybe I AM allergic. My doctor's nurse said to definitely not take it anymore when I talked to her today. This is so confusing. I also felt a little itchy all over. I'm just wondering if this is all in my mind though! Because I really would like to be able to take something stronger than regular Tylenol now that I'm back at work.

But the nurse agrees with the dermatologist that the rash is from one of the neuromonitor patches they had on me. Seems weird that it wouldn't flare up until 6 weeks later though right?!
                { sarah }

Comment

Sarah,

I get that whenever they use tape on me. I always let them know ahead of time now and they write in big letters to use paper tape or something without that adhesive that is on the regular tape. Even if I am just getting a blood test I let them know and they use something different.
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,

Thanks for the help. Have you ever had something flare up like that 5 weeks later though? Seems weird that it would be happening now rather than right after the surgery. Does it not necessarily happen immediately?

Thanks
                    { sarah }

Comment

Mine happens whenever it feels like it. Sometimes within a few hours of putting the tape on to only when they take the tape off and then hours later.
                      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                      Fused T2 to sacrum
                      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                      X