Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a little anxious

Hello All
    Just looking for a little guidance. I had my surgery almost 30 years ago at the age of 13. I had a fusion and herrington rods but did not get a terrific correction-the thoracic curve was 78 prior to surgery with some wicked rotation and it was reduced to 40, the lumbar spine was around 35 and it was straighted like a ruler. By my late teens I had herniated 4 discs in the L spine which I had disolved by chimopapin injection...hellish recovery but eventually I recovered and had 3 kids and carried on. I've always had lower back pain but this winter the pain and spasms just worsened to the point that I realized that something must have changed. I had the local orthopod have a look and his response was..."well, you've degenerated. I don't know what the hell to do with you." I've gone from being a person who works full time, strength trains and performs community theatre to someone taking T3's and calling sick to work. I'm not coping but the idea of surgery terrifies me. I'm afraid I'll loose whats left of my mobility. I am scared and unsure.

Find an ortho that specializes in adult scoliosis. I had one that did not and he didn't know what to do for me and gave a wrong diagnosis. I have a new doctor and things are much better. I have chosen to let my vertabrae fuse themselves where the discs are shot. I am getting treatments to ease the pain so I don't have to take meds. I have problems above and below my fusion.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Where are you located? From what I am learning, the symptons you are experiencing are not uncommon. It seems that there is no "happily ever after" after our initial fusions. But take comfort in knowing that the surgery has come a longggg way since your initial fusion.

Comment

Still Scared

I'm in northern Alberta-fairly remote area. After combing through this site, I've realized I have "flat back syndrome". I've read about the surgery to correct this syndrome and I have to tell you I don't feel any less anxious! Logically I realize that I may not have any option but surgery but I have a mortgage to pay and two kids at home still, both have scoliosis and my youngest is probably going to need surgery soon (45 T, 45L, and 2 cervical hemivertebrae). I just feel like I have to find some way to cope so I can finish taking care of my kids.

Comment

Working...
        X