Yea...it's over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Berta,

You've been my current inspiration. I think Suzy told you about me, since she's been a wonderful support for both of us. I am your age, lived on the Big Island for a number of years, and am having my surgery on May 15. You are the poster "child" for doing it all in 12 hours and coming through it well!! I am loving your posts. Congratulations!!

Aloha,

Brynn

Comment

P.S. Interesting how your butt and lower back feel so different now. I plan to lie down a lot...........Even now I spend more time lying on my bed when I'm home than sitting in a chair. I love my bed! And yes, I know I'll have to walk a lot too........

Brynn

Comment

Hi Berta,

I know there are alot of things that we are supposed to do, but I also think so soon after surgery, finding anyway, anything or any postion that I felt comfort or eased the pain was what I was most interested in doing. Your body has just been readjusted and I think you have to take time to adjust to that too.

Take your time and let your body heal!!! Week by week and month by month you will feel stronger and stronger. It just takes time.

Shari

Comment

Shari, yes, about any position I can ease the pain, I end up doing! Especially in the evening. It's amazing how much better I can handle walking, the brace, etc. in the am. Then in the evening, I can hardly handle being upright and the brace just bugs me!
          Brynn, where did you live on the Big Island? Where are you getting your surgery and what are you having fused? I still wonder how the heck I'm ever going to feel like this posture comes natural! It sure looks better in the mirror, but feels so "forced". Guess it is, and for the better.
          Have any others felt this out there?!
          And I've read questions about "feeling" the hardware in your back. I sure do! It feels exactly what it is.....hardware inside my back! I'm sure you get use to it, I hope! All in all though, I'm so happy I've done this and treasure the day I can walk without so much pain, last the whole day and feel better in my clothes! I know and accept it may not be perfect (pain, etc.) but has to be better than it was. And I was getting worse by the day! I know I was facing a crippling condition for my future. Now I face such a better quality of life! The pain I had pre-surgery is gone! The leg, hip, back pain from before. Now I look forward to the surgery pain going away, and as I'm still less than 3 weeks post op, I know it will happen.
          Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Berta! I just got on the forum & jumped to your message. I was away to Florida enjoying the warmer weather & great sunshine! Just back last night..
            I am so happy for you & you sound like you are doing wonderfully! Yes, lying down was my best position for weeks! Sitting at the computer or up to eat was too rough & I really stayed upstairs on my bed alot for quite a while.
            what kind of correction were they able to get for you? did you also have a hump?
            Take care and stay well, Lynne

Comment

Hi, Berta:

I lived in Hilo, then moved to Waimea for several years (dry side) with a few months spent in Puako. I still have wonderful friends on the Big Island, and visit as often as I can.

Yes, I'm sure it's quite an adjustment getting used to things after surgery. Everything is so different that you must get a bit worried when some new pain or discomfort happens. I know you're taking care of yourself.

I'll be fused from T10 to L5, very similar to Suzy's fusion. I live in San Diego, and my surgeon (a great one) is here.

My son, who had a spinal fusion when he was 14 (he's now 31), said he doesn't feel his rods at all anymore. He did feel them after his surgery. I can't remember how long it took for this to go away, but I imagine it will go away for you eventually, as you heal.

Take care,
              Brynn

Comment

Brynn-Hi-who was your surgeon?? Just curious, Ly

Comment

I could feel my rods whenever I would sit in the lounge chair but that went away after a few months. It's kinda like starting to wear a bra when you were young. At first you could tell it was there but now you don't even know it's on. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Dear Ly,

My surgeon is Dr. Akbarnia.

Brynn

Comment

I am so glad that you are doing well. Listen to your body during the early stages of recovery. I am fused to the iliac crest, my pelvis and I had a hard timesitting for a while. I was most comfortable on my side. Walking did wonders for me. I remember it was a big accomplishment to walk around the block. Now I am walking my 120 lb puppy for miles.
                      I also am still aware that something is in my back almost like a stiffness. I think that your body will just get used to it and takes time.Be well
                      surgery 9/06
                      Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Brynn, PLEASE be in touch next time you come to the Big Island, I would love to meet you! My daughter, who's 31, lives on the Hilo side, or if you come to Kona. (lucky no scoliosis in my kids, but as I tell them, the gene is there, so watch their kids!)
                        My doc was thinking of just fusing me the same you are having. T11 to L5, which was in decent shape, but he was worried about the fusion above L5 putting too much pressure on it, and then facing surgery again someday. Then, since I did have a compensatory upper curve, I asked him if going higher could help some of the cosmetics of my lumber hump, and he said IF he could, once he was in there, go higher, he would, so he did. I ended up with quite a long fusion T5 to Sacrum.
                        On the 23rd, I go in for my x-rays and, hopefully, my clearance to fly home on the 30th! Can't wait! I still can't imagine flying for 5 hours, even in 1st class, since the plane direct from SF to Kona doesn't have seats that totally recline. We'll see!
                        Also, thanks for all the encouragement about getting "used" to all the metal in my back! It's ok if I "feel" it some, it was worth the trade for the progressive curve and pain I was having!
                        Dawney, when did you have your surgery? What did you have fused? That's amazing that you can walk your dog. I visualize mine pulling me way too hard!
                        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Berta,

I have three daughters and none of them have scoliosis and I tell them all the time they will need to watch their kids. I have checked their backs myself since they were little and have the Dr., check at every physical. Hopefully they are all past the age they would get it, (21,20 and 15).

Also good luck at your appt. on the 23rd, That is the day of my surgery at Oakland Kaiser with Dr. Bains. I guess this means Dr Gorek will not be the assisting surgeon. My family will all be in the waiting area maybe youll see them.

If you find time, please let me know how your stay at Oakland Medical Center was.

Best of Luck in you recovery,
                          Patty
                          Patty 51 years old
                          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                          Posterior T3- L4
                          Pre surgery curves
                          T-53degrees
                          L-38degrees
                          and a severe side shift to the right.
                          Post surgery curves
                          Less than 10 degrees
                          Surgery April, 2006
                          C4 - C6

Comment

Actually Patty, Dr. Gorek very well may be assisting your surgeon, because Dr. Gorek had NO openings for my appointment! So they had to make my appt. with one of his assistant doctors that helped him post op with me, and then he will just do a "drop by" during my check up. I hope he IS assisting Dr. Bains! They are doing a series if x-rays on me right before, for him to look at, etc.

I will look for your family and I wish you all the best with your surgery!! Please be in touch as soon as you feel up to it and we can catch up. Good luck with the nurses too! Like I said, the later ones I had were great.

Take care and before you know it, you will be on the "other side". I never thought I'd be here!

Take care, Berta
                            Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Patty, I just re-read your post and it didn't seem like you got my reply to your private email I sent you?? All about my stay at the Oakland Kaiser?
                              Let me know.....maybe I messed up sending it.
                              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

I'm losing my mind

Hi Berta,

I think I'm losing my mind. I thought you ment the 23 of May and later when I was thinking about it realized you ment the 23 of April. My surgery is in May!!!

By the way I did not receive your PM, so I sent you another.

Thanks,
                                Patty
                                Patty 51 years old
                                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                                Posterior T3- L4
                                Pre surgery curves
                                T-53degrees
                                L-38degrees
                                and a severe side shift to the right.
                                Post surgery curves
                                Less than 10 degrees
                                Surgery April, 2006