Degenerative Disc Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farokie,

I didn't see your last question there until just now....Sorry! Yes, I would go down the same path and do it all over again. The only thing is.......it would have been alot sooner!!!! We were always told there wasn't anything the doctors could do. Now remember, I'm an Air Force Brat, and when they discovered my scoliosis at 12 or 13 we were living in Japan. When it was checked again we were living in Germany. If you read Karen's response to holygirl111 alot of that applies to me as well. My spine, ribs, muscles, nerve roots and anything else that is in there is so messed up from the scoliosis. I truly believe that is why I'm having such a hard time. Like my doctor said at one time, my body is rebelling against and resisting the corrections done to it after being all bent for so long.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not look back and say you wish you had done this sooner. I started to think that way and then told myself to not even go there. I truly believe that events happen in our lives when they are meant to. Being one of four children, I was the sibling who never moved away from home. Consequently, I was left with the responsibility of looking after my parents as they had to deal with some serious illnesses. Over the past 20 years I’ve had to be there for my mom as she fought a 10-yr. battle with cancer. After she died, my dad fell ill. I was the one who was there while he underwent major heart surgery, a stroke and eventual nursing home confinement because Alzheimer’s disease claimed him a victim. For three years until his death I was going back and forth to the nursing home several times a week to be with my dad. When I look back, there is no way I could have done what I did if I had been laid up recovering from back surgery; and I believe God spared me from the pain associated with progressive scoliosis all that time so I could fulfill those obligations. And now at age 58 and only within the past two years having experienced worsening effects, I’ve turned this over to God and truly believe that if surgery is part of His plan for me then He will surely open a window for me and provide me with the help that I will need; and if not, then that too is His plan for me and I have to accept it.

Chris

Comment

Chris:
        I was also the family caretaker. When I had my revision at age 60 Mom was 85 living alone and walker dependent. When I had the surgery my siblings HAD to step up to the plate and they did. Fortunately I am now able to help her at 90.

Yes, Chris, maybe there is no point in wishing I had done it sooner. On the other hand I firmly believe my experience benefitting others is God's plan for me -especially when it spares other unnecessary pain.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I couldn’t agree with you more, Karen. I believe you are exactly where you are meant to be and doing God’s work. God wants us to be of service to others, and you and Linda have been a tremendous service to those seeking answers and looking for guidance. You will never know in this life how many people have benefited from your caring and support. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X