No announcement yet.

Nubness in Legs - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had this exact problem...do you wear a brace? if not I'm not sure how to help you but if you do heres what I did: I found numbness in my legs while sitting down so I went back to the place wear they made my brace and they told me that part of the brace was pushing directly on a nerve, so they cut tat part off and voila the problem was solved!!!

If you don't have a brace ignore this.
    My name is Katie and I love to Dance especially Ballet. I am 14 years old and after 3 years of the Boston brace, I'm officially brace-free! Great holiday present if I do say so myself

Comment

hmmmm your post has got me thinking. I myself don't wear a brace but could it be that the way your spine curves might be pushing on a nerve too? PS i love to dance too - I had to give it up though because my back limits my movement. x x
      Jenny
      18 years old
      Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
      Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Comment

Hi,
        This happens to me, too. It happens in my right leg and my right arm as well. I just got a brace but it happened long before the brace. My right hip is higher than the left so I don't know if that has anything to do with my leg numbness. It will tingle and feel like it is going to sleep, but then it just goes numb. Is that what happens to you??

jen-jen, what degrees are your curves? Just wondering because your experience sounds really similar to mine.

-Allie

My name is Allie
        I'm in the ninth grade and I'm 14 years old
        Curves are 45 and 44
        I see Dr. Horton at the Emory Spine Clinic
        I tried 3 different Boston braces prior to the decision to have surgery
        Surgery is scheduled for December 27, 2007 at Egleston
        I'll be fused from T4 to L3

Comment

oohhh congrats! what kind of brace did u get?
          My name is Rotem
          I am 13 and in 7th grade
          Started with 2 curves:
          34º Therotical
          50º Lumber
          I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
          Got my 1st on Nov. '06
          Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
          Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
          and im still trying to get used to it
          Hoping I won't need surgery
          I live in South Florida
          3rd check on November 17,2007,
          Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
          30º Theoratical
          37º Lumber
          4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Boston I think. Woohoo...lol. I am going back to the doctor on Monday to do X-rays so we can find out whether or not it's working. I'm a little nervous because I don't feel any difference when I run my fingers down my spine, but I guess we'll see.

-Allie

My name is Allie
            Curves are 45 and 44

Comment

My curves not very big at all - roundabout the 30-40 mark i do believe (ps my doctor has never actually told me but thats what a nurse of mine said). I go in for the surgery tomorrow now (it was the 23rd July but they just kept cancelling it and cancelling it, you know the NHS - never enough beds or never enough anaesthetists or they all decide to go on holiday lol). x x
              Jenny
              18 years old

Comment

My curves are 44 and 40, so I don't know what's going to happen to me!! LOL!! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Good luck with your surgery!!

-Allie

My name is Allie
                Curves are 45 and 44

Comment

I hope everything goes well at the doctors Allie. I myself am rather angry because my hospital rang up this morning at 11.30am and said that because it is a bank holiday, they aren't going to operate. I'm so disappointed - this is the 4th time I've been cancelled. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever happen.....

x x
                  Jenny
                  18 years old

Comment

Hi my name is Spencer. I'm 13 and in the 8th grade. I have one large 40 degree curve. And I have numbness in my right arm and sometimes it gets so bad to wear in have to take my brace off and wait 20 or 30 minutes until i get feeling in it then i have to put my brace back on! Why is it in my arm??? Is there anything else I can do besides keep taking my brace off???!! Help Pleaz!!
                    x:x cherrycowgurl13 x:x

Comment

Jen-jen, I'm sorry everything didnt work out!! What a bummer!! I would be pretty angry, too if that happened to me. Hopefully your surgery will happen soon so you can get it over with.
                      When I went to the doctor, the x-ray showed that the brace is working pretty well, so I'm grateful for that. Although, I do have to get a new brace as the one I have right now is not doing anything for my top curve. I'm beginning to dislike my brace a lot and my mom gets mad at me for not wearing it as much as I should. Does that happen to anybody else???
                      Spencer, even though I havent had my brace for very long, that happens to me sometimes, too. I dont have to take my brace off, though; I can usually just wait it out and the feeling returns in my arm within 10-15 minutes. Hope it's a comfort to know that you're not the only one!!

-Allie

My name is Allie
                      Curves are 45 and 44

Comment

Thanks Allie, if I thought that was bad, my hospital just had to top it off by cancelling me the NEXT DAY AGAIN. Now, I've been totally re-scheduled for Mid October so I'm gonna miss a hell of a chunk off college. lovely!! lol.
                        As for you're mom telling you to wear it more, I guess she's just trying to help cos she knows it will help you. True, they can do it at times just to be annoying (lol my mum would kill me if she heard this) but it's only because she cares.

x x
                        Jenny
                        18 years old

Comment

Update

Just a small update, I was told that I now have a 28.5 degree curve, so from 13 to 28.5, and my appointment with Dr. John Hommes is the 14th of September. I am very nervious. I guess I will see what's going on.
                          My name is Justine
                          I am 17 years old
                          I live in Canada
                          March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
                          June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
                          January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
                          CHEO June 26th

Comment

Allie,
                            im with you.!! im also starting to "dislike (im using it cuz its a softer word- lol)" my brace!! and hey! i think im wearing it even longer than u are! lol

Originally posted by gasweetpea93
                            Jen-jen, I'm sorry everything didnt work out!! What a bummer!! I would be pretty angry, too if that happened to me. Hopefully your surgery will happen soon so you can get it over with.
                            When I went to the doctor, the x-ray showed that the brace is working pretty well, so I'm grateful for that. Although, I do have to get a new brace as the one I have right now is not doing anything for my top curve. I'm beginning to dislike my brace a lot and my mom gets mad at me for not wearing it as much as I should. Does that happen to anybody else???
                            Spencer, even though I havent had my brace for very long, that happens to me sometimes, too. I dont have to take my brace off, though; I can usually just wait it out and the feeling returns in my arm within 10-15 minutes. Hope it's a comfort to know that you're not the only one!!

-Allie
                            My name is Rotem
                            I am 13 and in 7th grade
                            Started with 2 curves:
                            34º Therotical
                            50º Lumber
                            Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                            Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                            I live in South Florida
                            30º Theoratical
                            37º Lumber
                            4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

ohhh allie,
                              and i just want to tell u,think of it this way.. ur lucky enought to have a brace and be able to treat ur scoliosis! u should be wearing ur brace as much as u could and not wait for ur mom to be mad at u and tell u to put it on cuz its only doing bad to yourself! u see, other people tried and it didnt work for them , like jen jen and hopefully it will work for us if we try! at least jen jen tried! thats the most important thing!! but no one gaurentees us that we wont need to have surgery, but we hope we wouldnt!.. do u get wat i mean???!?!?
                              My name is Rotem
                              I am 13 and in 7th grade
                              Started with 2 curves:
                              34º Therotical
                              50º Lumber
                              Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                              Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                              I live in South Florida
                              30º Theoratical
                              37º Lumber
                              4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by ~ScoliosisGirl~
                                ohhh allie,
                                and i just want to tell u,think of it this way.. ur lucky enought to have a brace and be able to treat ur scoliosis! u should be wearing ur brace as much as u could and not wait for ur mom to be mad at u and tell u to put it on cuz its only doing bad to yourself! u see, other people tried and it didnt work for them , like jen jen and hopefully it will work for us if we try! at least jen jen tried! thats the most important thing!! but no one gaurentees us that we wont need to have surgery, but we hope we wouldnt!.. do u get wat i mean???!?!?
                                Yeah. Totally true. When I went back to the doctor, he told me he wants me to work up to 23 hours a day and I was sitting there thinking AAAAAAAAA!!!!! LOL! I'm getting better with it though. I'm trying to be self-disciplined so my mom doesnt have to keep reminding me that my "out of brace time" is up and I need to put it back on. Oh and by the way, you asked me a while back what kind of brace I had, and I told you I thought it was Boston, but I was wrong. It's a TLSO. I have no idea what the difference is anyway... Thanks for the reality check...I'm still hanging in there...

-Allie

My name is Allie
                                Curves are 45 and 44

Comment

Working...
                                X