Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tramadol/Utram withdrawal

Hi all.

I have been on Tramadol (called Ultram in the US) and have just stopped taking it after cutting down over a few weeks, as the side effects were worse than the pain.

This has caused a new problem. I am now experienceing the worst withdrawal symptoms. I can't sleep, I can't stop shaking. I am nauseus and have diarrhoea.

Has anyone else experienced this and how long did the withdrawal last? Also will I be back to normal once the withdrawal is over?
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Call your doctor.

Comment

This happened to me on oxycodone

It is very NOT fun. I should have contacted my dr. first and followed their plan to GRADUALLY wean off it. You can still do this. Then you will feel better almost right away and if you gradually taper down your body won't react as strongly. Maybe there is something milder they could switch you over to. Good luck.

Deb
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      T5-L5

Comment

Hi...I was on percoset & tried to go off too fast & paid the price for it! Then went to a Pain Management Dr...he gave me a lower dose of it & I eventually weaned down to half a tablet then to a quarter of a tablet in the evenings until I was off.. I still suffered mild depression but gradually felt better as the months went on...Ly
        ps. eventually you will get back to 'normal' but not until the drugs are out of your system-several mths...for me..
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused t-11 to l-5 Aug 2006
        Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I have been to my doctor this morning. I had been weaning off under his care, but it seems that my body couldn't take it and I have to admit, I did try cutting down more quickly than I should have. He thinks that I have also caught a stomach bug, like the withdrawal symptoms weren't enough!

I didn't sleep at all last night. I was up with restless legs and arms and my stomach wouldn't settle. I have now been given some stuff to help settle my tummy and it seems to have helped. I am feeling much better today. We have also upped my tramadol dose a bit for a few weeks and then we will try again. He has also suggested trying herbal nytol to help me sleep.

I have to say, I never want to experience withdrawal again. It really is horrible. If you are reading this, please learn from my mistake and don't try to come of the meds too quickly. It really isn't worth it.
          Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
          Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Glad you are feeling better.

You seem in better spirits now. It must have been miserable.

take care
            p

Comment

Thanks P

Comment

Working...
              X