Have defo got to go back into surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have defo got to go back into surgery

Well, I just spoke to my surgeon. Its 8pm here and he called me at home.

To fill you in, I had my surgery in Jan(single stage anterior T8-T12). All was fine until about a month or so ago, maybe more, when I developed a lump on the right side of my back. It is really painful and is grating somewhere in there, as well as restricting the movement of my right arm.

Anyway, I saw my surgeon a few weeks ago and he took xrays (see below). Apparently my rod has moved and is poking out between T7 and T8. He said that I was to keep and eye on it incase it goes back spontaniously (sp?) and carry on resting.

On to today.... I have had no changes, so I let his secretary know this morning. My surgeon called me tonight when he got out of theatre and told me that I definately need to go back in and have it corrected. He also sounded concerned that it has been grating and grinding away in there each time I move my right arm. I will need to go in for between 3 and 5 days unfortunately. I really hope I will be out sooner than that, but I just want it to be ok again.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...n/MyX-Rays.jpg
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Yikes! The surgeon left the rod awfully long.

I hope the second surgery is an easy one and that your recovery is quick.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda,

Hopefully I will be in and out so that I can get back to work. I am so bored of daytime tv lol. I never knew they put so much rubbish on during the day
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Working...
      X