Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Tension

Hi all!
    I had surgery about 3 months ago, and I have recently noticed a tight area of muscle next to my right shoulder blade. The shoulder itself is pushed foward, and makes it uncomfortable for me to sit. I also get bruises and soreness on the muscle band because it is very tight and sticks out.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with a protruding shoulder blade or tight muscle band as a result of scoliosis. Were you able to correct the shoulder blade? My doctor recommended BenGay patches or possibly physical therapy. Any suggestions?
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Hi Charlotte,
    I don't know if this is the same problem or not. My daughter is having pain in her shoulder blades. She says it is more of a soreness than sharp pain and that it feels sometimes like they are burning/sunburn. This is her biggest complaint for the last 4 days or so. I didn't know if it was the muscles healing from all the pulling during surgery? It will be a month on the 15th for her. Did you have this problem months ago or is it mostly recent? I hope the Ben Gay helps. Good Luck.

Comment

My muscle pain has been more recent. I think it has to do with returning to school and moving up and down so much, as well as carrying a backpack.

I hope your daughter is feeling well!
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Hi,
        Maybe you should get a backpack with wheels? Let us know how it feels when you start walking with the horses. Did the Ben Gay work at all? Good Lulck. My daughter's back seems better today. She has cut down to just two tylenol a day. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I actually rode last saturday, both with a saddle and bareback. It was really fun; it reminded me of why I miss riding so much. It didn't see to pose any stress on my back either.

The BenGay didn't really work. It didn't even feel hot, it was just tingly. I think I'm going to trying a heating pad instead. I hope all is well with your daughter.
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Hi Charlotte,
            So happy for you! That is amazing that you are riding already! Way to go. My daughter is doing well. At least physically. We stopped the tylenol with codeine last night so hopefully that will be ok. She has a bad headache today...withdrawl maybe? Anyway her back pain is minimal. Emotionally she still doesn't want to go anywhere out. The brace is the culprit. At home she is in a pretty good mood most of the time. Can't believe it is 4 weeks today since the surgery. Very happy to be at this point. Just taking one day at a time. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Hello, I had the same pain between my shoulder blades after surgery too. My mom said that she thought it was related to the muscles being sore. They've been pulled into different positions and were letting me know their opinon. It does go away though!

Charlotte, congrats on the riding! Bengay doesn't work for everyone, me included. Try having those muscles rubbed (using lotion of course) that helped my shoulder blades the most.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I'm glad to hear your daughter is well Peggy.
                Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                L2 to T4
                Braced for 4 years
                Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Charlotte...

Did your doctor clear you to ride horseback only 3 mos. post-op?

-Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda:
                    Yes he did. I have been riding english and jumping for four years, so I have a lot of experience with horses. I also work at the stable I ride at. I am only allowed to walk for now, but it was originally no walking on a horse for 6 months, so I feel lucky just being on a horse at this point.
                    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                    L2 to T4
                    Braced for 4 years
                    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Charlotte...

Until you're at least 6 mos. post-op, your fusion is not solid. While the implants are fairly secure, hooks and screws can come out of bone. I wouldn't personally risk having to have more surgery for the tradeoff of riding on a horse. Just my $0.02.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you for your advice Linda. I will be very careful.
                        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                        L2 to T4
                        Braced for 4 years
                        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
                        X