Iron Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Tablets

Well guys only 10 weeks until my surgery May 28th..... (argggghhhh)

I've just started taking Iron tablets that are called FEFOL they are Iron & Folate tablets i thought i'd start taking them 10 wks leading up too my surgery. But the only problem is im constipated and im just wondering will i be like this for 10 wks or should i get something that will help me go??????

Also im just wondering on any ideas of what things i should start preparing for around my house and also what kind of items i am going to need???

Thanks in advance.

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Lee,

When the Nurse called and told me to start taking iron, she also told me to take a stool softner as she did not want me to be constapated at all. Hope this helps.

Patty
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Lee,

I'm right behind you with the iron tablets! Eek.

I'm going to post my list of things to bring to the hospital and things I need around the house on my blog this weekend - maybe it will help you.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I would take something to help you go. I have been on iron tablets since my surgery in January and am still very constipated.

The sooner you get something into you to soften the stools the better. I was given lactulose in hospital, but I couldn't keep it down. In the end I was given a monster of an enema, which was not a pleasent experience at all. It was made worse by the fact that I wasn't allowed to sit up, let alone get out of bed.

I hadn't "gone" in about 8 days. If you leave it you will be very uncomfortable and miserable. It can make you feel so ill.

Also just a warning, everything you "do" will be jet black (including if you are sick). I didn't know that and got the shock of my life. I thought that there was something seriously wrong with me lol.

My advice, get those stool softeners into you asap.

As for things to take into hospital, I found that wet ones were a must. They are so handy for freshening yourself up.

At home, try to move things so that they are easy to reach. If you don't have someone to cook for you, ask relatives or friends to bring freezable meals for you. They will want to help and this is one of the best things that they can do to help you. Also ask for help with the house work, but don't worry if it is not done. It can wait. That was one of the hardest things I had to learn lol.

I also made sure that I had a list of phone numbers, such as my GP surgery, within easy reach.

Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Karen x
        Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
        Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
        Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
        Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
        No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
        Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

When I was really stopped up I took an over the counter laxative. After surgery I took a stool softener daily. Very unpleasnant. The massive amounts of pain killers right after also took their toll. Once I was weaned down after a couple weeks things kinda went back to normal.
          After surgery my personal dvd player was a good companion. Straws are also good to have or sports bottles to drink out of, Have a phone close by. I was actually very comfortable on the couch and turned a laundry basket upside down and kept everything on there so I didn't have to reach or twist.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

I started taking the Iron tablets a month or so before surgery, I think 3 times a day or 2, I forget already??! Then because of the affects & seeing that my level was real good at blood donation times, I ended up (per the surgeon's nurse) to drop to a lower dose...2 times....then after surgery, when I was in rehab, I refused to take the Iron pills with everything else they gave me! I probably should have taken them but I was so uncomfortable that I said 'no'. There was just one that gave me a hard time...ha! But I was eating ok & felt well....Ly

Comment

Par for the course, unfortunately. Try taking a stool softener for the time being.
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
              X