No announcement yet.

Poll - How tall were/are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was 5 ft 6 inches before op and now i am 5 ft 8.5...

Comment

I was 5ft at age 13
      At age 14 I was 4ft 11"
      At age 28 I was 4ft 10"
      Pre surgery (age 42) I was only 4ft 9" (eek!)

Post surgery I am now a lofty 4 ft 11" so I grew a whole 2" and that is with only about a 50% correction to my curves!

FYI, my armspan comes out at 5ft 3"
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Before surgery I was 5' 3'' and had a curvature of 52*.

After surgery I was 5' 4 1/2" (don't know what the curvature is now)
        [[hailey]]

16 years old
        Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
        Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

6'1 with 90degree kyphosis! Will probably add another 2 inches after surgery!!

Comment

A few years ago I was told I was 5ft 3/4inch...

More recently, prior to surgery, I was told 5ft 1/4inch

I am now a FULL (like maybe even slightly over) 5'2!!
            2000 34*L/39*T
            2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
            (initially planned T4-L1)
            12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Taller than my sister!

I was the same height as my sister, 5'5", then I shrunk to 5'4" 1/2. Now I'm just about or over 5'7".

Roseann
              2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
              2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
              Surgery Dec. 21 2007
              Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Right now I'm at 5'5-1/2" (45 yrs), at 18 yrs I was 5'8". We checked my arm span(finger tip to tip) is 5' 10". Considering my sons are 6'5" and 6'2" and my dad has cousins(female that are both 6 foot) I guess the 5'10" might be pretty close to what I would have been. Would be nice if I could get close, but more important to not get worse. Just get the stupid insurance stuff out of the way.
                2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                (left open with just clear dressing)
                6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

At 18 years-old I was 5' 7", at 50 I was 5' 6"
                  pre-surgery at 60 I was 5' 3 3/8"
                  post-surgery I am back to 5' 7"
                  I feel and look so TALL, when I first sat up in bed after surgery my arms felt so short I couldn't put my hands on the bed to balance myself. I told my doc that I thought he added several vertebrae to my back. I can put my hands on the bed now, not sure if I have shrunk a little or not. All my friends and family were shocked at first at how much taller I was after surgery.
                  Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
                  A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
                  Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
                  Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
                  Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

I've been a solid 5'2" since I stopped growing at maybe age 12/13.

Believe it or not, they didn't have a scale with a height bar in the hospital (I was soooo aggravated!), and I've been inaccurately measured several times since (never the same outcome) by well meaning nurses and friends with tape measures and yardsticks - LOL.

One measurement even said I was shorter (which I'm fairly certain isn't possible).

I'll know for sure today. I still find it hilarious when people jokingly ask "Well, do ya feel taller?", and the look on their face (always initially dubious) when I respond "I AM taller." ... ;-).
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by SusanGP
                      - pre-surgery at 60 I was 5' 3 3/8"
                      - post-surgery I am back to 5' 7"
                      Wow, Susan ...

Your increase is just one of many that blows my mind ... that's HUGE ;-). How long did it take you to get adjusted (balance, body boundaries, etc.) afterwards?

I had to giggle imagining that kind of sudden growth on me: I'm so naturally NOT graceful, I can easily envision bruised knots all over my head from misjudging my new height going under things and getting in and out of cars and the like ;-).

(nevermind I whack my head NOW about every 3rd time I get out of my car - LOL!)

Regards,
                      Pam
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

I have yet to be accurately measured since my surgery. I was 5'7 1/2" in high school, 5' 6 1/2" last summer and now I believe I am somewhere between 5' 8" and 5' 8 1/2". I routinely hit my head getting into the car. All I know is my torso has never been longer!
                        Last edited by Geish; 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM.
                        Geish
                        47 years old, dx at 13
                        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Pam,
                          It took about four weeks before I was somewhat adjusted to my new height! I couldn't believe it at first. Like I said when I sat up on the hospital bed my torso was so long my arms wouldn't reach the bed so I could balance myself. I don't know if this happened to anyone else but that first time sitting up I just "sprung" (like a spring) back and was falling backwards on the bed (FAST). I would have hit my head on the railing of the bed but a nurse caught me. This was the strangest feeling and totally unexpected.

For the longest time (even when I was at home) - every time I sat down I made sure that someone was behind me or had placed a pillow to catch me. I would fall back on the pillow and then had to have someone help me to get up. I thought this was permanent but it gradually got bettter, I adjusted and do fine now. You're right about hitting my head though, only on the car getting in and out. That's better too, but I am verrrry careful getting in and out. Sounds like I'm not alone with the "hitting head on car" problem.

It sounds like you are doing good Pam. I am so surprised at the things you are able to do already! Keep on getting better!

Oh! and on another subject, (your pictures), they really show what we all went through. I just called my husband in to look at them, he glanced but didn't stay long (a little queasy maybe). Thanks for posting them.

Take care,
                          Susan
                          Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
                          A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
                          Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
                          Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
                          Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Height before &amp; after

I was 5'7" before, and grew a full three inches - now I'm a bit more than 5'10". My curvature was 80°, corrected to 19°.... I think I was MOST excited about getting taller! My family is all very tall, and at 5'7" I was the shortest... I still am the shortest (other than my mum - I have cousins that are 6'9" if you can believe it)!!

xo
                            lisanicolegrace
                            29/F/Canada
                            Surgery - 11/10/2000
                            80° curve to 19° post op.
                            www.lisanicolegrace.com
                            @lisanicolegrace
                            facebook
                            x-rays
                            picture of my back

Comment

I was 5' 3/4", in the last two years lost an inch, so just under 5', now I am 5' 1 1/2". Not bad! It felt like such a huge change at first.
                              CarolS
                              68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                              Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                              Osteotomy March 20,2008
                              Thrilled with results!

Comment

after graduation high school I was 5'2 then shrank to 5'1/2 then before surgery 4'11. 2 1/2 weeks post op I'm 5'1. When your short every little bit helps. I'm so glad to get some height back!

Comment

Working...
                                X