Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - How tall were/are you?

I was a bit disappointed with that. If you've seen my blog, I thought I was real tall when I stood up in the hospital. I just felt huge & so straight! Then when I was first measured in the Dr's office I was only 5'5" which freaked me! Originally before surgery I was 5'4"...unless I went down more a bit before the actually surgery....The nice thing is most people tell me they feel I'm 5'7". My family was told in the hospital that I would'nt go up that much since I had a humongous curve. But I feel tall!!!! Lynne
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    fused T-11to L-5 Aug 1 2006

I only gained 1 inch. I was 5'2" before surgery and now I am a whopping 5'3". I guess I was destined to be shorter. ha
    Linda G.

i haven't had surgery, but i think i win the height thing here... i'm 6' 3/4'', so it scares me a little that i could be even taller if i had surgery. I think this poll is interesting, cause i always thought scoliosis tended to affect taller girls... hmm, guess that's what scoliosis does to you, makes ya shorter... even me.
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

I was 5'1" before surgery, then 5'4" the day after surgery, and also grew 2 more inches the next year...5" in one year woo hoo!
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Quote Originally Posted by rachael
    I was 5'1" before surgery, then 5'4" the day after surgery, and also grew 2 more inches the next year...5" in one year woo hoo!
    What was the degree of your curve before surgery?

I'm 5'3". If I ever get surgery, I hope I'll at least be 5'4". 5'5" would be better.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

my height

I had surgery when I was 12 and I was 5'3" after that.

Now I am 43 years old and I stand 5'1"...so I am getting shorter!

briarrose:
    My upper was 63 and my lower was 47. I had a correction to 11 degrees on top and almost 0 on bottom. Good luck!
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

I used to be 5' 4", shrunk down to 5' 2" and am now 5' 2 1/2". I wear heels everyday and people are shocked when I take them off and they see how diddy I really am.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Height

I'm about 5'10" or 5'11".

I'm hoping not to get any taller then i already am

I used to be 5' 1". I shrunk to 4' 11.5", 4' 11", and most recently 4' 10.75". As my curve has progressed, I got shorter. My curvature is currently 115*T and 85*L.
    MishP
    38 y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
    Brace off at age 12
    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
    Pre-op
    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Fused T2-L3
    Not sure of post-op correction

I was always 5'5 and before my surgery I was measured at 5'4.
    Post-surgery I am just under 5'5 again, but posture is so great that everyone thinks i'm much taller than that!!!

Usually you gain an inch or two. As an aside having scoliosis makes me people shorter than they would otherwise have been. If you measure your armspan this gives a pretty accurate measure of how tall you would have been without scoliosis.

Thanks, Frosty. I hadn't heard that before. I'll have to give it a try.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

I’ve heard about the arm span measurement too, but have discovered it’s not universal. Not everyone’s height equals the span of their outstretched arms from fingertip to fingertip. I tested this on six of my co-workers with normal spines. Three of them had an arm span that equaled their height, and three did not. In fact, one woman who measured 5’3” had an arm span measurement of 5’8”. My arm span measures 5’9” and I stand 5’4”. I was 5’6½” at skeletal maturity, and my guess is that I would probably have reached about 5’8” if I did not have scoliosis. My older sister grew to 5’8” and my younger sister grew to 5’9”. If you have siblings, I think their height is a good gauge as to how tall you would be if you had a straight spine.

Chris

It's not a 100 % accurate of course, armspan as a substitute for height. Some people have long or short arms relative to height but if you search the net you will find it is a well accepted proxy measure for height. Chris, you said your armspan measures 5'9'' and your estimated height without scoliosis 5'8''. That's pretty close.