Just had surgury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I haven't had my surgery yet, but i have told my doctor i have decided to have the surgery since i can't put if off any longer. My curve is close to 100 degrees now and it advances about 3-5 degrees a year. I am now in constant pain and fatigue. I can't take more than a few steps without shortness of breath.

i speculate my surgery will be sometime in September ... donating blood (3 units) and more x-rays to be done. My Doc told me it's a big surgery, and it takes about 3 months to prepare.

From your story, it sounds alot like what my Doc had plan for me. the only difference is, i will lose 2 ribs. He's taking the ribs for the fusion instead of the hip. Otherwise, your story is exactly what my Doc told me.

I am scared and afraid ... of pain, spinal cord injury etc. For the past days, i've been surfing the net trying to find some support.

I was wondering if you can share, not just the experience, but the preparation (physically and mentally), what to expect, questions to ask the surgeon, recovery, pain etc ... Any piece of advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Again, I thank you!!

Comment

Mish, I know how you feel. How old are you and where do you live? I don't know about you but I could feel my ribs pushing into my lung on the left side. The left side was constantly spasming. I had read a post from somewhere on the internet from and older lady (I'm 48) who had said she put the surgery off and now she's not able to have it and she's confined to a wheel chair. I just told myself it wasn't a question about whether or not to have the surgery (especially since I could feel that my lung was being involved) but did I want to possibly be in a wheel chair later on in life. I'm sure you know that your heart can also become involved if the curve continues. I wanted to be able to enjoy life later on and put up with the rehab for the year. (To be fully recovered). I talked to everyone that would listen. The more you vocalize what you're thinking and worrying about the better it is. By time I went for the surgery I think the whole world knew. When you get to the hospital let them know that you're anxious and they will give you something. You can also have your doctor prescribe something for anixiety for now if you need something. I also kept busy with doing projects for other people. I just had my 2 month check up yesterday with my doctor. He said he can already see fusing taking place. He said I can start driving and doing what I feel like I can do. I vaccumed the downstairs the other day. I am still taking muscle relaxers, pain meds, and an aniexty pill. I had the aniexty before the surgery. The pain isn't really a pain after you leave the hospital, it's more of an ache or twinges. You will have a lot of numb areas and it seems like when an area starts to ache then after a couple of days that area isn't numb anymore. I still use a walker to get around, but I also use just a cane at time also. The doctor again stressed yesterday how complicated and hugh my surgery was. He said I was doing great! I can walk a mile at a time outside with the walker or on a treadmill. He doesn't want me doing anything else exerecise wise for at least another 3 months. I hope this helps. Right back whenever you want. Good Luck, Theresa
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa
        Thank you for writing.

You said " I don't know about you but I could feel my ribs pushing into my lung on the left side. The left side was constantly spasming. "

Is this pre-op or post op? I am a bit confused.

For the time being, i would feel a twitch in my lower back. My lower back also aches, whether i am sitting, standing or lying down. Standing for a period of 5 minutes or more makes it worse. But it's not too painful. Thank God. When i sit and lean back, i feel it's hard to breath too. My doctors tried their best to do what is best for me, but i was too scared so i kept pushing it off. Plus it scares my family too. But i have come to a point and realize i must do this otherwise in another year or two, i won't be able to get around.

I am 35 now, and live in Boston.

Connie, with the anterior, do you feel the chest tube at all? I was told the tube stays until the posterior (3-4 days) You were probably sedated and didn't know it was there? The anterior was to remove ribs for the grafting?

This other woman you mentioned ... why is she not able to have surgery?

I am so glad to hear your fusion is a success.

Please keep stay touch and let me know how you are doing (if you don't mind sharing). I will do the same

Mish
        Last edited by mish; 06-13-2004, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Mish,

My surgery will only be from the back
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

Oh Connie ... sorry, i meant to ask Theresa. I must have your both names mixed up

Your surgery is only your back? Luck you ... and best wishes

Comment

Mish,

The spasming was before the surgery. Sorry about the confusion. I know longer have that problem or any of the other problems. I would also get pain in the small of the back and numbness and tingling in my fingers at times. About the chest tube, I was real worrried about that before the surgery as well. I didn't even feel it when it was in or when they took it out a couple of days before I left the hospital. You do have most of your pain from the anterior incision. A lot of it is pressure. You will be short of breath also, they will have you doing some deep breathing exercises. The thing I was worried the most about was waking up with the ventilator still in. They were able to take it out before I woke up. Prepare your family for how bad you will look when they see you the first time. We didn't realize how bad I would look about 14 hours of surgery on the first day. Very, very bloated and pale. I had 7 pints of blood transfused between the two surgeries. I also had some sores on my legs and stomach from laying face down for so long. You will have a liquid diet until they start to hear bowel sounds. I didn't drink very much of anything except water. I had broth every meal and it was to salty to drink. I just looked back at your message and yes, the anterior was to remove the ribs for grafting, also that is when my doctor removed the six discs. How far are you being fused? I'll stay in touch. Theresa
              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I have a question I forgot to ask my doctor GEE he said I ask a zillion questions,,,so now it's a zillion and one LOL..Theresa....do they take out the dics during fusion or do they leave it in and fuse around them.....
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism
                complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                increasing pain at the T4/5
                point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie,

The discs are taken out and they insert like a little cage with the bone grapfts in it. I saw them on the x-ray yesterday. The little cage holds the bone chips and the cage also holds the opening for the fusion to grow into. Theresa
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa
                    I am not sure about the fusion, but from what was describe in my prior visits (roughly 3 yrs ago), the scar on my back would run from my shoulder down to tailbone. So I guess that would be hmmmm 14-16 inches? I read posts where people spoke of their lumbar and thoracic curves, S-curve and C-curve etc. All I know was my curve is a little over 100.
                    What are the removed discs for? I don’t think that was mentioned – maybe I was too nervous and did not paid attention, but I don’t recall about having anything removed, but the ribs for grafting.
                    May I ask you something, you said you felt the ribs are poking your lungs. How can you tell? I know I have difficulty breathing if I am lean back when I sit or sleep on my back. I would need to be on my right side in order to breathe easily (my hump is on my left). Other than that, most of the time, I feel bloated … which makes it hard to breathe too. But I am not sure if this is related to scoliosis or some other medical problems. Do you have those symptoms (being bloated) before surgery?
                    If you have your front and back cut, which position will you be in, in order to be comfortable? You can’t be on your back with the scar, nor your stomach.
                    Your surgery lasted more than 14 hours?
                    I know I am asking a lot of questions, and I hope you don’t mind, but I feel more comfortable and at ease in getting information from someone who went through it … you know, first hand experience.
                    I am so glad I found this forum
                    Thank you for all your support.

Comment

In anterior scoliosis procedures, the discs are usually removed, which allows 1) better correction and 2) fusion.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I thought the anterior was just to remove ribs. Come to think of if, my doctor did say something about relaxing the spine before fusion.

Thanks Linda

Comment

Hey Mish,

Don't worry about all the questions, we've all been there. It is more reassuring to talk to someone who had the similar experience. You wake up on your back. It really didn't hurt to lay on the back. Plus you have all the pain meds. The anterior incision on me is really on the side. It goes from the side of the right breast to the sholulder. My incision on my back is from the neck bone down to the tail bone. When they take the disc out it makes the spine easier to adjust because it becomes flexible. Different people have different amount of discs taken out. About the lungs, I would have quick shortnesses of breath if I moved a certain way. Just as if someone gave you a quick jab in the belly. I didn't have the bloating. The anterior portion of the surgery was only about 4 hours, then the doctor proceded onto the posterior portion. The reason it took 14 hours was because of finding extra vertrebra on one side down in my tail bone area that didn't show on any x-rays or MRII. The doctors had to go back and recheck every thing making sure things were lined up right. Then they had the problem with the rod not fitting properly. The second surgery was when they received a different type of rod that had more flexibility in it and to also attach a plate to my tail bone area for the fusion to the tail bone. In all it took 22 hours. Hope this helps some. Theresa
                          Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa

Yes, it helps tremendously. Thank you for sharing your experience

Comment

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. I know some of you just had your surgery and I hope everything went good for you. Tara, your PICC line should be out, hope all your infection has cleared up. Since my last post, I have gone out and driven my car to run some small errands. It was really great! My daughter came home for the weekend for a fitting for her wedding dress. We also went to the movies and found me a dress for the wedding. Boy was I worn out after that! I still use my walker or a cane. By the end of the day I'm hunched over. I don't lay down during the day but I probably should, I probably wouldn't be as sore in the evening. I came on a business trip with my husband. He's been having to do a lot of out of town trips. We drove from Houston to San Antonio (about 3 1/2 hours) and stayed on the Riverwalk for two days. Then we drove down to Corpus Christi (about 2 hours) and staying here for two days. Then a five hour trip back to Houston. The first two trips weren't bad, we'll have to stop on the trip back home. He feels better with me being here, he's not worrying about me. It is nice to get out and away for a while. We have the plane trip in August for the weddding in Sedona, Arizona. This is a good practice run for that. Hope everyone is doing well. Theresa
                              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. I know some of you just had your surgery and I hope everything went good for you. Tara, your PICC line should be out, hope all your infection has cleared up. Since my last post, I have gone out and driven my car to run some small errands. It was really great! My daughter came home for the weekend for a fitting for her wedding dress. We also went to the movies and found me a dress for the wedding. Boy was I worn out after that! I still use my walker or a cane. By the end of the day I'm hunched over. I don't lay down during the day but I probably should, I probably wouldn't be as sore in the evening. I came on a business trip with my husband. He's been having to do a lot of out of town trips. We drove from Houston to San Antonio (about 3 1/2 hours) and stayed on the Riverwalk for two days. Then we drove down to Corpus Christi (about 2 hours) and staying here for two days. Then a five hour trip back to Houston. The first two trips weren't bad, we'll have to stop on the trip back home. He feels better with me being here, he's not worrying about me. It is nice to get out and away for a while. We have the plane trip in August for the weddding in Sedona, Arizona. This is a good practice run for that. Hope everyone is doing well. Theresa
                                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                                X