No announcement yet.

Chiro will it help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northlandmed, there really is nothing to talk about - my son's condition has been taken care of and he is resting comfortably in his room right now with his beautifully straightened spine. I was being a little facetious in my last post, but the reality is in all my research I have (1) never heard of you, (2) if your treatment is the best approach to permanently correcting scoliosis, rather than easing symptoms and providing a temporary "cure", I certainly would have been knocking on you door.

Comment

Northlandmed, Why are you on the forum and not treating your patients? If your technique is truly that incredible, then you should be so busy that you don't have time to be on these forums. You were on until very late last night and on early again this morning. So, you spend a lot of time on the internet and not so much time treating patients. You said you would sign off if we could keep punching holes in your stuff and we have. So, do what you agreed to and sign off and don't come back. It isn't me that is negative towards you. This whole forum is. You should have that big picture now. Why don't you PM Expatient and see what the two of you can figure out together.

Comment

Enough!! This is clearly no longer a debate, so please just stop. Both of you.

Northlandmed, whether it's manipulation or anything else, if you ever find yourself in a position to treat someone with a recent fusion, I'd urge you to send them packing. It could potentially be very dangerous to treat such an individual.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Northlandmed, come on. just back off. I think everyone is getting tired of this, even you. Go on with your busy day and help those you think you can help. I am not living miserably and neither are any of my three children that have scolioisis/kyphosis. No one suffers any pain because we have all been treated appropriately. We all have better things to do than this.

Comment

I can see that my request was respected ;-)

Listen, we would not allow a surgeon to post to 10 forums encouraging people with small curves to come to him or her for surgery, so I don't believe we should allow people such as northlandmed to do so. Please stop before it goes any further.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi...

Wanted to update the group.

First, Northlandmed was banned from these forums for posting what came across as spam and for some of her non-constructive responses to users. I'm sure she won't be the last to try such tactics.

Secondly, as many of you know, I tried to recruit Dr. Marc Asher to provide a patient to go through Northlandmed's treatment for free (with a $10,000 bonus if the treatment doesn't permanently reduce the patient's scoliosis curves by at least 50%). Dr. Asher did respond to tell me that he couldn't provide a patient, but that one of his partners would be willing to monitor such a patient. So, if you're in or near Kansas City, and interested, or if you know anyone who might be, please let us know.

--Linda

Comment

Linda,
                THank you for a job well done.
                Nikki

Comment

Chiropractic care/ does it work?

In my opinion NO! It can reduce some of the pain, because people with scoliosis are constantly having hips and other joints pop out of place. So chiro does sometimes releive some of the side effects to scoliosis, but it doesn't stop the curviture from getting worse and it definetly will not cure it. My scoliosis was found at age 4 and I went to the chiropractor 3x's a week for 1 year, and then 2x's a week for the next year, and once a week for the next 3 years, but it didn't evenslow my curve down, it was curving approx. 5 to 6% each year. Even bracing for 2 years didn't stop my curve from getting worse. But again, I'm no Doctor, I can only tell you that in my case nothing slowed down my curve, and apparently even 2 fusions can't stop the curve because since my second surgery I have already advanced 6% more in 9 months. Hang in there.

Georgian
                  spinal fusion 1985 T-6 to L-3, revision surgery T-3 to T-6 in 2005.

Comment

Why is it still progressing?

Dear Georgian,

Did your surgeon say why the curve would still be progressing?

Deb

Comment

Good news. Katie came up with a patient (11 y.o. girl with a 58 degree scoliosis), who doesn't have insurance. She will treat the child for free, and she will be monitored by Dr. Douglas Burton. As I get progress reports, I'll be sure to update those following this thread.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Les H
                        It seem you guys are right , there is no evidance that chiro works . Knowing that I have decided to go once a month for a year. He has given me an exercise program to follow and I intend on following this every day . If between to chiro and exercise I get some pain relief it will be worth it . I know that 7 degress isn't much but for some reason I have a burning pain where the spine is curving back . I have had this befor but it only lasted for a week or so then went away . Now that I'm almost 50 the pain is back and worse !
                        I know a 48 year old woman in Mississippi with a 20 degree curve. Her pain and symptoms were progressing to the point that she found them debilitating. She got the Spinecor brace a few months ago, and her curve has reduced by 5 degrees. She has gone from almost nonfunctioning, i.e. unable to take a walk, constant pain, to completely functioning. She says she can do anything she wants now. This brace is expensive, but quality of life is everthing. She is impressed.

Just a little info!

CHeryl
                        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I think there are many things that will work to help pain caused by function, especially for those with smaller curves. PT is probably a lot less expensive than a Spinecor brace, and is usually covered by insurance. My personal opinion is that there are a lot of braces that may be good at relieving temporary pain, but we need to be careful about what these braces do to our muscles if they're worn on more than an occasional basis.

--Linda

Comment

Try upper cervical chiropractic not regular chiropractic.

Comment

Neck chiro

Originally posted by Atlas01
                              Try upper cervical chiropractic not regular chiropractic.

Here is an opinion by the Canadian Pediatric Society cautioning about chiro treatment in kids(and adult cases). Do you want this risk of stroke?

http://www.cps.ca/english/statements...20chiropractic

Karen
                              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I Think Miss Karen Is A Harrington Rod Surgeon

You spend your day on here thread to thread bashing chiros on every page. you are telling people that chiropractic casues stroke??? Do you not know the surgical ramifications if the harrington rod????? Do you know that I know a girl who's neck snaped in a minor car accident b/c she had a harrington rod? did you know that 40% of h rod patients are considered handicapped? did you know I know a girl in a wheelchair b/c of h rod? did you know that it only corrects 50% ...and every year after that the curve worsens? my first post on here did NOT bash the h rod, but you got on there and attacked me. did you know I have never had back pain with a high 40 degree curve b/c of chiropractic? i am not just for chiropractic...I am ALL FOR WHATEVER TREATMENTS WORKS FOR PEOPLE. So when people ask about chiropractic why do you bash it? You bash it even when it is unsolicited! That is just stupid! You encourage little girls and their parents to go under the knife never considering their options...discouraging them from trying anything non-surgical that may give them hope! You should tell them that surgery should be the last resort! I never said it should not be done...but you certainly say that about chiro! My significant other is a chiro... and guess what sweetie...he is also good friends with one of the premier back surgeons in the west! they work in tandem to make kids better...and we are not rolling in the dough of unfortunate scoliosis patients like you claim. before you attack those who make it their life's work to help little kids you better look in the mirror and consider your morals. if they want surgery let 'em, if they want chiro let 'em, bracing- bring it on!! But don't crush people's hope b/c you are uneducated. there is NO downside to giving chiro a whirl. But there are bad chiros just like there are bad surgeons...and obviously you must have met one...that is why they need to get referrals like anything else. if you follow a shiney advertisement for a scoliosis quick fix from a chiro OR from an MD you are fooling yourself. the decision to have surgery is PERMANANT and scarey for these parents. don't EVER talk someone into surgery w/out encouraging them to explore their options. chiro DOES IN FACT WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE AND THERE ARE STUDIES TO PROVE IT!!!! just like surgery works for some too. but to call "all" chiros quacks is sick and wrong. Check yourself. To those of you on here reading this all I ask is that you educate yourself. some chiros CAN fix scoliosis...I have seen it, touched it, felt it, lived it. But the decision has to be yours. your body, your decision, not Karen's. read, read...and when you think you are done read some more.
                                Katie- age 28
                                Ironman Triathlete in Training
                                Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
                                Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
                                Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
                                With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Working...
                                X