Stiff Curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Curves

I have a question about stiff curves...When I had bending x-rays last August I was told the top curve is very stiff - no change in the degree of the curve, but the bottom curve is very flexible - goes almost straight.

My Dr. is going to do both A & P and said the Anterior would be on the bottom 3 discs. He is fusing from T-4 to L-4. So my question is will removing those 3 discs give more flexibility to the top curve? He said he expects to get a good correction but no guarantees.

So I guess I want to know what kind of correction others have gotten with stiff thoracic curves.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Hi...

I can't imagine how removing lumbar discs will give you any increased flexibility in your upper curve. Good for you for picking up the discrepancy. It's definitely a good thing to bring up with your surgeon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a very stiff thoracolumbar curve (in the middle) and the only way I got correction is for the surgeon to remove the calcification that had built up on my spine over the years. He had to do the anterior procedure in order to do this. Like Linda said , I would ask more questions.
      Cathie

Comment

Working...
      X