No announcement yet.

anyone over 30 degrees with spinecor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Rachel has had her major growth spurt yet. I think she will probably be 5'5" or so.
    She has not started her period yet either. She hasn't shown signs of puberty much, a little hair, maybe.

So Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard don't think that the 28/34 will be the final result for Nicole?
    I am surprised. I thought every time I read her measurements that they meant she would acheive some long term correction. I guess I don't understand. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................. .

I will ask more specific detailed questions next time and try to understand.
    I wonder if Dr. Rivard only meant that Rachel would acheive a 22 in brace, not that it would be maintained after they discontinued the brace. That would be disappointing, but on the other hand, if this brace even held her to 38/27, it would still be more than anyone expected any other brace to do.

Do you know when your appointment is in May, yet?

Hugs!
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Cheryl,

I called there and they said they will call me in April to give me some dates. We have the busiest May with dance competitions, recitals, concerts, puppy being spayed, etc. I hope we can find a date that will work.

They were very clear with us that they didn't expect much in the way of correction. I should have asked why. Like I said, she went down ten degrees in each but they never thought she could stay in that range. They want to hold her curves and believe me, they have made no promises. That is what all the orthos have in common. They have all said they have no idea whether her curves will get worse or not. One day they will know which are the evil curves that increase and which are the cooperative curves that don't. But they will not know that soon enough for Nicole. So we just wait.

My reference to evil vs. good curves was actually taken from one of the kids on SpineKids. I don't know who said it, but I thought it was adorable the way she explained it to another child.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I just wanted to update everyone. Dr. Rivard called and told my mom my curve is in the 30s ?? if that is true, what the heck is my orthopaedic surgeon measuring? He does it on a computer. Certainly good news that is is smaller than I thought!! He told me that being structurally mature, no brace would help me. (Thank goodness we called him! Saved a lot of money) He also said there is no scientific evidence that yoga works, but it won't hurt me. He also said the most important thing I can do is never get a job where I have to stand. He said that alone will cause bad pain and by 45 I will want the surgery. Important info! My mom said he seemed like the nicest man, and he went above and beyond to look at my xrays and call my mom because he genuinely cares about his patients. We are certainly thankful.
        April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
        Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
        Now 18 years old
        Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Comment

I am not in the least bit surprised that Dr. Rivard phoned your mom personally - that's the kind of wonderful doctor he is.

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
          X