Surgery for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery for the first time

I'm currently on the waiting list to have surgery on my Scoliosis. I have two curves and the doctor said that my operations needs to be done in 2 stages due to the durve. I'm 19 and I've been doing karate for almost a year and i dont want to give it up. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the surgery?

I'm kind of confused from what i've been told. I came across some information that said that i could do competative sports 6-12 months after surgery, but my doctor said that i might have to give up karate because a knock to the back could cause a rod to break.
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Hi Cina...

You'll need to follow your surgeon's advice (although a kick in the back cannot actually break a rod).

I would, however, encourage you to get a second opinion. Having staged surgery is common for very young children (who need both the front and backs of their spine fused so that they don't start to rotate like a crankshaft), and for older adults who have fairly rigid spines. You should still be relatively flexible at 19, so I'd want to know why the surgeon thinks you need both surgeries.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Linda

I've been told by other people that I wouldnt have to give up karate. Its just made me confussed. I've been told by 2 seperate people that i'll have to give it up, including a doctor and someone who use to fit my brace when i was a kid.

Jacinta

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Hi Jacinta,

I'm from Melbourne two.... Who is your surgeon and when are you having your operation?

Love Lee
        Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Jacinta...

In my opinion, your surgeon's opinion trumps everyone elses.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LEELEE85
            Hi Jacinta,

I'm from Melbourne two.... Who is your surgeon and when are you having your operation?

Love Lee
            Hi Lee

My surgeon is Dr Ian Turner and I'm not sure when my operation will be. All I know is that it'll be done sometime this year.

Jacinta

Comment

Originally posted by Cina2005
              Hi Lee

My surgeon is Dr Ian Turner and I'm not sure when my operation will be. All I know is that it'll be done sometime this year.

Jacinta
              My Surgeon is Dr Peter Turner you sure its Peter and not Ian?

Is he from Epworth????

Ill be getting my op done on May 28th by him being fused from T3 - L3 a little scared but i know Peter Turner is one of the best surgeons and also ill be operated on by Ian Torode.

Lee

Comment

Sorry my bad, got the names mixed up. I dont know if Peter's from Epworth. I know he was from the Royal Childrens. I've seen Ian Torode a few times while I was an outpaitent at the Childerns Hospital before I went to the Royal Melbourne

Jacinta

Comment

Yeah Peter also works from the Royal Melbourne Hospital but im getting my surgery done at Epworth Hospital. I go to see Dr Turner at the Epworth Medical Centre. I find him really nice.

Anyway hope all goes well. Maybe we will cross paths one day.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X