No announcement yet.

We finally were seen by an Ortho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for pointing out the obvious... I support the use of the spincor brace. Does treatment stop with forcing a curve back into place??? I don't believe it's that simple, and if you do then you've severely underestimated the human body. There is obviously some reason for the spine developing lateral curves in the first place.... what makes you think you can just push it back into place, ignore the cause(s) and expect it to stay put??? And as evident by the failed attempts of many, it is clear that bracing alone is not sufficient in most cases. What I have always suggested is a comprehensive approach... never replacing bracing with vest rehab alone, ...nor is it appropriate for everyone! Am I talking to a brick wall here... ? How many times do I have to clarify that point.

I saw a poll done on another scoliosis forum (http://vote.sparklit.com/poll.spark/924046)...

If you used the SpineCor brace for scoliosis more than 2 years ago, please rate the efficiency? [87 votes total]

It reduced my curves (13) 15%
    It stabilized my curves (10) 11%
    My curves progressed so I needed surgery (20) 23%
    My curves progressed (15) 17%
    I was unable to complete the treatment (6) 7%
    No effect (23) 26%
    Members of the forum were polled about the effectiveness of the spinecor for them. Although I think it's a great improvement as far as braces go, the poll clearly shows room for drastic improvement. I'm glad a select few members of this forum are benefiting, but what about the thousands of people who aren't sharing their experiences on this forum? Do they factor into your statistical analysis at all?

We can't possibly think that an archaic and oversimplified method such as bracing is the sole answer? Can we? Is it really possible for you to put blinders on to the potential etiologies behind this condition? Is the body just a stack of bones to you? What are the consequences of forcing the body against it's biophysical will without addressing the influences behind it?

Consider those retorical questions since I'm certain you'll blow them aside anyhow.

Also, here was an interesting article with your four favorite Dr.s together.
    http://www.worldchiropracticalliance...2005/may/j.htm
    It seems as though the makers of spinecor have partnered with chiropractors to provide training in the fitting/distribution of the braces. Sounds kind of fishy to me... Could the spinecorporation be out to make a HUGE profit here??? Could be, you never know.... ????? How do explain the agenda of the spinecorporation in this matter Celia? Would the good Dr.s in Montreal really partner up with two chiropractors that they believed to be frauds?

...vestibular testing and rehab in the context of scoliosis treatment is "logical reasoning" and this is where I and many others in this forum beg to differ.
    First, if you folks don't believe that scoliosis effects, or is effected by the nervous system, well.... . Secondly, since when did you and "many others" receive your training in neurophysiology to become the definitive voices on the subject?

Give it all a rest and do what's right for you. Leave others alone in their pursuits if you don't agree and quit denigrating others.

Comment

My deepest, sincerest apologies!!!!!! I never realized that spinning around in a chair while focusing on ones thumb and being charged $1,500 for such exercises was legitimate treatment. Not only is it asinine, it's beyond comprehension!! Save the rhetoric for your chiropractic friends . Who are you to say that scoliosis has a neurologic cause ?????? There are many MANY theories to as to it's etiology and neurologic is not up there as the leading cause. I also believe I have a right to voice my opinions, if you don't like it.....TOOOOOO BAAAAAD!

Oh yes....and let's not forget the article was written by the chiropractor, Dr. Lamantia - certainly not an objective expose on the topic! The picture was probably taken when the chiropractors were up in Montreal for the Spinecor training - the office looks very VERY familiar to me

Last edited by Celia; 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

What is the leading cause of ideopathic scoliosis Celia? Enlighten me, please. And how does that "leading cause" help the rest of the folks without that "leading cause" as their etiology? Just because someones etiology is not the "leading cause" you think it's worthless to spend time addressing it??? What's wrong with you?

I never realized that spinning around in a chair while focusing on ones thumb and being charged $1,500 for such exercises was legitimate treatment. Not only is it asinine, it's beyond comprehension!!
        You haven't the slightest clue, do you. Are you back on these ignorant statements again?

Who are you to say that scoliosis has a neurologic cause ??????
        I'm educated!!! Should I post the numerous cases of ideopathic scoliosis caused by neurological deficit disorders (CP, MD, MS, etc.)? Wise up Celia!

Oh yes....and let's not forget the article was written by the chiropractor, Dr. Lamantia - certainly not an objective expose on the topic! The picture was probably taken when the chiropractors were up in Montreal for the Spinecor training - the office looks very VERY familiar to me
        Kind of like your "objective expose on the topic".... ???? It was a business deal, not a matter of persuasive writing. Here you go again with any angle possible on a conspiracy. Should I email Dr. Rivard again to clear things up for you? Is it fraudulent to get a picture taken in their office? (I'm glad to know you can remember what the office looks like. )

Why would Dr. Rivard "hope that SpineCor Brace could change the vestibular system" if it's a bunch of crap as you say it is?? Do you know something the Dr. doesn't? Maybe you should teach him what you know about the vestibular system, he might not be aware of your privileged knowledge on the subject and keen observations. You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about to me.
        Last edited by structural75; 03-16-2007, 03:53 PM.

Comment

You two remind me of those screwball comedies from the '30s when the guy and the girl fight and hate each other and then end up falling in love.....
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I beg your pardon? Fall in Love?????! *keels over dead* I'm glad you find it humorous....come to think of it I did enjoy my last post and it obviously upset Structural to no end because he did use the "CRAP" word He is an agitator and thrives on confrontation not only with me but with other members on this forum i.e., Linda Racine, Karen Ocker, Gerbo, Cheryl, Macky etc. etc. In general, it's not pleasant being the recipient of mindless attacks but I do try to have fun and make light of the situation along the way.

Last edited by Celia; 05-30-2007, 10:46 AM.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Celia,

In your previous post you asked me:
              Who are you to say that scoliosis has a neurologic cause ??????
              In a letter from Spincor Docs to another member on this forum they told her this:
              In theory SpineCor should be able to correct scoliosis caused by Chiari Malformation and other neurological defects once these have been successfully resolved.
              Again, a little education on the matter and maybe you wouldn't be so quick to discredit the possibilities.

it's not pleasant being the recipient of mindless attacks
              You can say that again.

You're quite the passive aggressive... with your indirect remarks about me. And it always seems to happen that way when you don't have an intelligent response to the points that I've made. At least I'm decent enough to confront you, and others, directly on the matters at hand. And it just so happens that those folks you mentioned dominate this forum, making it difficult if not impossible for anyone with a different perspective/experience to offer something to others. I'm not the first person who has been ruthlessly swarmed and attacked by you all... look through the archives and you'll see others who have experienced your dictatorial wrath. Anytime someone comes on here to share their success with something other than surgery and bracing alone, you folks jump in to put your negative disclaimers in (and some of those folks you mentioned have actually recommended following the DR.s orders to '"wait and watch"!!..that should be considered negligence/malpractice!). It's quite clear on this forum, and the greater world at large, that nothing is perfect, successful or relevant all the time.

I only 'agitate' those who need a wake up call. Besides, you see it as agitation and I simply see it as clarifying matters. The last thing anyone needs here are 'pseudo-doctors' giving inaccurate information/advice based on a shallow understanding of the human body (i.e.- reading studies, statistics, etc.). Options for many people here are already limited, why narrow that down even further with uneducated opinions. You certainly have a right to your opinions and to share your experiences, but it is clear that you are not qualified or knowledgeable to be giving certain advice.

Comment

I completely understand your fears on this and that haunting question of "how fast can it progress". My daughter, almost 6 years old, remained stable for the first year since diagnosis, showing only tiny increase. Then at a recent 5 month check she had gone from 19 and 12 to 26 and 20. It was quite a shock since I had been watching her back and felt it still looked the same. As you can tell from all the threads on this site, there are so many varied experiences and outcomes all the possible "what ifs" can become overwhelming.

I hope you are happy with your experience at Shriner's. I have heard so many good things about them. We have just applied to Shriners in Minneappolis and I am so hopeful that we get accepted.

I will be following your experiences since we are both somewhat Midwesterner's and have children of the same age going through this.

Best wishes to yu and your family.
                Jazzeve
                Mom to Brianna, age 5 1/2
                Diagnosed age 4 1/2
                26T/20L

Comment

waiting and watching

I am sure it is driving you crazy to wait and watch. I recommend a second opinion. There are so many doctors and opinions out there. I know it is tough. We did go to 3 opinions for my daughter who is now needing surgery. I personally do not care for the wait and see approach. Although that may be sound advice in some cases, some would agree we need to be doing something for our sanity. Keep busy to not go stir crazy. We did go to Shriners in Erie, PA has a surgeon, Dr. Sanders, who does bracing, including Spinecor, Boston, and surgery. They do have help with transportation (shuttle) from Erie airport to the hospital, and adults and patient staying overnight at the Erie Hospital. They did not offer to provide us with other transportation. Best wishes to you and your child!
                  Shirley
                  Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                  X