No announcement yet.

Bothersome Deformity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, also, can entirely sympathize. I did the exact same thing with my boyfriend, always reminding him that I was deformed, and that he should be able to see and feel it, even though he didn't care. Oddly, it was through that that my self esteem improved however. For me it's been something that I've slowly had to accept. I really don't not wear anything or feel ashamed anymore. It's just....me, even if my ribs stick out and my spine is curved.

However, I do think that cosmetic reasons are entirely valid for wanting surgery. I agree that it doesn't seem like only a 25 degree curve would be causing such significant problems, so I would highly recommend getting a second opinion. I did when considering surgery and it really made me feel better about my decision not to have it and better about my scoliosis overall.

Hope everything works out for you...

Comment

Paul, my scoliosis soulmate! You know somedays rough is just rough. It's weird though because although I feel better because I'm not alone in my feelings, I hate that anyone else in the universe has had such horrible self-image issues because of this disorder.

Jenae, props to you as well. I went to the doctor today and he said my curve was pretty much symmetrical and only looked like it was about 20 degrees or so. I still need to get my x-rays, but I was astounded that such a small degree of curvature would cause so much discomfort, disfigurement...no, such emotional distress over the years.

I'm in a wedding next year and we're wearing strapless dresses and it's already freaking me out. I don't want to risk surgery for a curve this small, so I'll have to accept it...it's taken 36 years to even get to this point. Well, I'm going to wear that dress though.

I told my daughter this morning, "adversity strengthens character"...I'll just have to take my own advice. I can become a stronger person, if I change my attitude about my curve. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by iggysta
        I'm in a wedding next year and we're wearing strapless dresses and it's already freaking me out. I don't want to risk surgery for a curve this small, so I'll have to accept it...it's taken 36 years to even get to this point. Well, I'm going to wear that dress though.
        Don't freak out People won't notice... people don't notice my curve I have a significant rib hump along with a genetic disorder that has caused all kinds of skin manifestation that people DO notice. I'll be a bridesmaid in Sept...heh in a strapless.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m
          Don't freak out People won't notice... people don't notice my curve I have a significant rib hump along with a genetic disorder that has caused all kinds of skin manifestation that people DO notice. I'll be a bridesmaid in Sept...heh in a strapless.
          Honestly green, that really made me feel good. I think it's me that focuses on backs, but really other people probably aren't paying my issue any attention. I'm going to wear that dress proudly.

Comment

Working...
          X