Changes in weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in weather?

Hi everyone. I have found that over the past few months my pain post op has subsided significantly. I think it might be due to the extreme heat here(downunder so hot summer time here at the moment). Has anyone heard if the warmer weather relaxes our joints etc more because we are heading into autumn and I really don't want to go back to the aches I had last year. I do tend to tense up a lot in the cold. I guess it makes sense that it would ache more. Has anyone found a solution to the problem. Maybe theres an invention waiting to be made???
    Katie

Katie, I agree that the colder weather makes our bones ache more. I don't know why but a barometric change also causes more pain for me. I'd always heard about "old folks" who could accurately predict rain by the aches they experienced.... now i know what they meant...lol... As for a solution, I don't have one other than a heating pad or warm soaking bath. Good luck! JoAnn

Comment

I haven't had surgery yet but I already experience a lot more pain in my back when it's cold. I think, as Katie said, it's from tensing up. And if I start to shiver, it REALLY hurts.

The only solution I can think of is bundling up...long underwear, perhaps?

Just another reason to retire to some warm place in a few years..
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I use heat to relieve my pain. I go to a therapy pool where the water is kept at 90 degrees F. and also a heating pad. I tend to feel the weather when it gets damp more than cold.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Katie,

I have a real problem with being cold since my surgery. (I had sensitivity before but not like this.) Someone wrote that the rods don't conduct heat and cold like bone and tissue thus we are more sensitive to it. I didn't notice being overly hot last summer. I just started back skiing and was worried about the cold tensing up my back. I bought "thermacare" back wraps to bring with me for the cold. They are air activated heat packs that come with an ace bandage type holder you wrap around you. There are pockets for the heat packs, one on each side of your spine. I thought this was a great idea because the cord on my heating pad isn't long enough to go ski with......

Chris, These might really help you. I totally know what you mean about the pain from your back tensing up! You need a heating pad for around the house if you don't have one yet.

Comment

Katie, you are so lucky to be in such a warm (hot lol) climate.

I am 7 weeks post op and am having a fairly slow recovery, which in my opinion is not helped by our cold weather here in the uk. It is a fairly mold winter, but still darn cold!

It is interesting how weather changes affects our backs though.

Edit: sp
            Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
            Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
            Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
            Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
            No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
            Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

I, too, had a question about weather and recovery!

So... Even after recovery, the tension in the back is going to continue in cold weather? A year, 2 years, 3 years, etc.?

I got my surgery done in December... And walking in the blustery wind and snow was an awful experience!
              Sandy
              23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
              Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
              65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
              Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
              Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Working...
              X