Hardwear Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Connie,

Don't know if it's too late to reply to this, I'm a newbie, but I just replied to "Frustrated Newcomer" and described the revision surgery I just had where my doc removed my old rods and ended up putting new ones in because my fusion hadn't healed completely. I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and so far things are good. It was definitely not a piece of cake but looking back, it was definitely better than the first surgery. I remember how painful it was to get up and walk for the first time after my 1st surgery and I was so scared this time when the nurse said the doc "wanted me up" today. But it was definitely better, painful but easier than I thought it would be. I have to wear a brace for 3 months. 6 weeks 24 hours and 6 weeks just during the day. The first few days at home I refused to wear the brace to bed but I ended up going to get it padded with sheepskin and that helped tremendously. I also put a pillow under the right side of my back where most of the pain was coming from. I should add though that I had a thoracoplastly procedure which greatly added to the pain. Not that it is horrible or anything either. If I had the choice I would do it all over again. My back is much flatter. Anyway, I talk way too much! Let me know if you have any other questions. I wish I had known about this forum before I had both of my surgeries. This is a great site!
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Working...
    X