Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iliac crest graphs

Hi, Everyone:

I'm scheduled for an anterior fusion on May 15, and an anterior on May 18, with Dr. Akbarnia of San Diego. When I last met with him and we discussed the possibilities for my surgeries he indicated that he would probably not have to take any bone from me other than what he'd collect during my fusion(s), (ie: bone spurs), so he wouldn't have to take a bone graph from my hip. He is definitely not planning to remove a rib, but my pre-surgery materials I got today state that he will use an iliac crest graph for my posterior fusion.

I understand that it is painful to recover from having bone removed from the hip. My doctor is using BMP (artificial graphs) for my anterior fusion. Why wouldn't he be able to use this plus bone he's collected from me for my posterior fusion? I know, that is a question for my doctor to answer. And I'll ask him. But I would also like your feedback. Those of you who have had bone grafted from your iliac crest: how was it to recover from this on top of your fusion(s)?

This has been a very challenging process for me, as for most.

Thanks!
    Brynn

Brynn,

I had bone taken from the iliac crest for my surgery. There was only a couple of weeks where the pain from the harvest site was really painful. It was actually not pain so much as a really achy, sore feeling. Since then I haven't really had any problems since then.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Brynn,

I would review this with your surgeon...I suspect it might be similar to my surgery. I was revised 2 years ago in an A/P procedure by DrRand in Boston (and fused to the sacrum at that time). I remember asking him if I would have the grafts that were harvested from my hip as a teen...he said no. When you read my surgical report however, he mentions havesting the "inner table crest" and setting it aside for the posterior fusion. This portion of the report was in conjunction with the setting of the pelivc implants. In lay terms...as I understand it, they have to "pre-drill" for the implants, and at least in my case, some of the material was later mixed with the BMP for use as posterior graft.

I don't have a new large scar as from the original surgery and have not had any residual pain issues. Of course, your milage may vary!

Take Care, Cam

Comment

Hi Brynn...

It's possible that it's an error or oversight. You should definitely check with Dr. Akbarnia or Patricia.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you, friends, for your kind replies. I checked with Dr. Akbarnia's nurse, who suggested that I speak with him at my pre-surgery appointment, about his plan re: harvesting iliac crest bone for graphs. Yes, Linda, it may have been an oversight. Dr. A. was responsive and supportive when I first requested that he try to do the fusions without using graphs from my hip. He said that in the future he guesses that allographs from artificial bone will replace graphs from the hip or rib completely and said that they are working quite well, it's just that they're still new. He said he hopes he has enough bone from the bone spurs he's removing from L4 and L5 to not need any more from me. I am interested to read how many differences in opinion that surgeons have about this. Some steer away from using BMP graphs and some use them extensively. Have others found this to be true?

Take care,
          Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn,

Hi Brynn,

I would love to "chat" and compare info with you - I too have consulted Dr. Akbarnia..

For me it's coming down to the wire and I am making the decision on which Dr. I will choose.. Currently between: Dr A & Dr LaGrone!

Dr A is local but may not be available in my time frame, Dr LaGrone is of course out of state but his schedule works with mine...

As you know there are lots of things to consider - but from my research, they are both considered excellent surgeons!!

Feel free to email me: askforKen@aol.com

Take care,

Comment

Working...
            X