Dr. Boachie-Adjei, Hospital for Special Surgery NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Boachie-Adjei, Hospital for Special Surgery NYC

I have nothing but the highest praise. At age 60 this wonderful surgeon revised the uninstrumented fusion in 2002 that I had at age 14. My major thoracic curve was 80 degrees. 30 deg cervical and 40 deg lumbar. The curves were reduced by 50% as he had predicted. This is great for a 60 year old with a stiff spine and triple curves. My breathing has improved and I look so much better. I also had a thoracoplasty which significantly reduced the gigantic hump. I am back at work part-time.
    Karen Ocker
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 04-13-2005, 03:29 PM. Reason: update info
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Hi,
    I am 32 yrs with 80 degree thoracic curve and am planning to have posterior surgery done by Dr. Boachie. Can you please share your experience like after surgery how did you feel, how was your recovery kind of things. Also list of things, that I should do before surgery.

Thanks,
    Pal
    Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
    Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
    Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
    Dr. Boachie

Comment

Pal,

I am active on several boards, and have seen nothing but positive feedback on Dr. Boachie. His patients rave about him and HSS. I have not seen one person who has had a negative outcome or a serious complication. I think you are in the very best hands. He is on our final list of surgeons for my daughter. I am giving her the final say in the surgeon, but he's my personal favorite. Our thought and prayers are with you!!!

Susanna
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks Susanna for your good wishes.

Can you please share other forums where you have seen abt Dr. Boachie.

- Pal
        Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
        Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
        Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
        Dr. Boachie

Comment

Hi Pal,

Search this forum by clicking "search" in the upper right corener, and then typing in "Boachie".

I have also read things about him on these forums and here are a couple of examples:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/7604

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...l/message/5334

Good luck!

Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

dr boachie

hi pal
            My 14 year old daughter is 4 weeks post op from surgery done by dr. boachie. So far everything has gone totally fine. I did so much research on drs. before my daughters surgery and have heard nothing but wonderful things about what a great surgeon dr. boachie is. Even while my daughter was in surgery and we were waiting and someone would ask us who is doing her surgery as soon as i would say dr. boachie they would tell us she is in the best hands and that is what you want for this type of surgery; the best hands. She also had ribs removed for her fusion and is fused from T4-L2. We also had a very good experience at the hospital, they were great and wait until you see the view.
            Good luck with your surgery
            jennifer

Comment

Dr. B

Hi;

My husband had a spinal fusion with instrumentation almost a year ago. I am not used to singing praises of doctors, but with Dr. Boachie I will make a glorious exception. He is a healer, in every sense of the word. He has a gift, and my husband is pain free and 1 and a half inches taller because of it! Also, in addition to Dr. Boachie, his staff is first rate. Lindy, his nurse, was ALWAYS available to answer questions, and calm my husbands nerves pre- and post op. She is amazing, also. Besides Dr. Boachies technical gifts as a surgeon, another reason why I love him is because he has a social conscience. He started the group FOCUS, and performs back surgery in Ghana, and in other countries that benefit by his skill.
              Good luck, and I mean it.

Josephine

Comment

hi josephine
                thanks for writing about dr. boachie. My daughter is 8 weeks post op now and doing wonderful. I am amazed how how well she is doing. It makes me feel good to hear other words of praise for the dr. we chose and i know i made the right choice using him. The staff in his office are great! We enjoyed the view from the hospital room as well.

jennifer

Comment

Hi Josephine,
                  We met with Boachie on Friday. We really loved him as well. It is so good to hear from other patients who have had surgery with this wonderful doctor and had a good result! Thanks for taking the time to write!
                  Susanna
                  Susanna
                  ~~~~~~

Comment

I want my daughter to see dr boachie but he doesnt take my insurance...and as well all know scoliosis surgery is very expensive!!! my daughter ari is 20 months old with congenital kyphosis t12-l2 she has had a post. spinal fusion that failed... the placed a wire in her spine that has since broken and her curve is progressing.. i just went to go see Dr polly in minneapolis and he recommened dr boachie, saying that he worked with him, but i had to pay out of pocket to see dr polly and i cant pay out of pocket for dr boachie!! as i keep saying this is very frustrating that the best doctors arent accessable to everyone... Cindy and gregg
                    gregg and cindy parents of gregory, a 3 and a half year old and ariana 20 months diagnosed with congenital kyphosis at four months old-posterior fusion surgery at 13 months (failed) scheduled for anterior posterior hemivertebrae excision surgery at NYU March 28, 2005.

Comment

I find it pretty sad that he doesnt accept insurance.. A doctor this great should be accessable to everyone. cindy and gregg
                      gregg and cindy parents of gregory, a 3 and a half year old and ariana 20 months diagnosed with congenital kyphosis at four months old-posterior fusion surgery at 13 months (failed) scheduled for anterior posterior hemivertebrae excision surgery at NYU March 28, 2005.

Comment

Hi...

I'm not trying to justify it, but the best doctors have far more patients wanting to see them than they have available appointments. So, I think it makes sense that they have higher earning potential.

In Dr. Boachie's case, he spends a good deal of time, and quite a bit of the money that he earns, treating patients who otherwise would have no opportunity for treatment:

http://www.orthofocos.org/

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

linda i agree 100% my current doctor Dr Errico also does a lot of free services in latin america but i still feel frustrated when he charges us 60,000 for a spinal surgury that our insurance only pays a small percentage of. It's hard to feel compassion when you are the one fighting for the best treatment for YOUR child, We in the United States have a lot of services that are not avaliable in other parts of the world but all I see is the best treatment is 20 miles from my front door since i live in nyc and i cant afford it! its so close but yet so far away.....

Comment

In NY, you have access to a large number of great surgeons. Have you tried Michael Neuwirth, Jean-Pierre Farcy, Baron Lonner, David Roye, or Paul Rubery? I believe they all treat children, and all have great reputations.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thanks for the doctors-we will look them up and see if they take our insurance

Comment

Working...
                              X