Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphotic Deformity

Hello,

In addition to Flat Back, I have been diagnosed with Kyphotic Deformity above my existing Harrington Rod.. I also have Degenerative changes above and below my rod..

I would like to hear from others who have the same issues - and to know how you have or how you plan to deal with it??

feel free to email me: askforKen@aol.com

Thank you!

Hi Ken...

You should check with Dr. LaGrone, but I suspect he's referring to junctional kyphosis, which is one of those problems lumped together as "transition syndromes." I have it as well. I believe that careful selection of fusion levels during initial scoliosis surgery can help avoid this problem.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kyphotic

Hi Linda,

I'm not sure what he meant, but yes, I will be checking with him - I do however want to point out that he did say it would require further fusion to correct... Keep in mind that I am currently fused T2-L2.... so it would apprear that he is planning to fuse T1 to sacrum (but that is speculation at this point)... He also mentions the benefit of removing the entire H-rod.

Ken.

Comment

Hi Ken,

My 15 y.o. daughter has the same problem. Jamie is fused from T3-L2. Before her surgery, her doctor told us that junctional Kyphosis is always a possibility, but he assured us he would do everything in his power to avoid this and I believe he did. Well, she was one of the unlucky ones who developed Kyphosis. The doctor has watched her closely and told us in October that if it has continued to progress at her next appointment, he would want to discuss surgery. In my heart, and I think the doctor feels the same way, I know she is most likely headed for more surgery. Her Kyphosis is currently 37*.

Do you know what degree your Kyphosis is right now?

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Kyphotic

Hi Mary Lou,

I do not know, in fact, I didn't even know I had it until I received Dr LaGrones letter - which unfortunately does not mention any #s - rather he has asked me to come in to discuss further!

I just can't believe that no other Dr has noticed it or mentioned it...

Most of the people that I have been in contact with only mention dealing with their Lumbar spine... so this is a total shock to me!

I feel as if I am needing to start over in terms of research - although - I am hoping others will chime in with their knowledge of this topic....

I hope all goes well for your daughter (I have 3 daughters and can only imagine)....

Comment

Hi Ken,

Is the Kyphosis in the neck/very upper back region? If so, I have this too. This is interesting since we both had Dr. Swank do our surgeries. Did this Dr. see this in your xrays? Hope all is well.

Leslie

Comment

(Leslie)

Hi Leslie,

That IS very interesting!!! (Dr Swank of course can not be consulted any longer)....

Dr. LaGrone discovered this via an x-ray, I have not seem him in person yet!

I am fused T2-L2, I'm not 100% positive but he did state in his letter that I have degenerated changes above the H-Rod and Kyphosis in that area that may require further fusion....

Have you made any plans to correct yours? Have you consulted any doctors yet?

Comment

hi, i had surgery on jan 4th 2007 for a mild scoliosis curve also had a portion of 5 ribs removed for a rib hump. also have 80 degree kyphosis. 2 weeks post op i had a screw pop off on the upper part of my rods. was wondering if the cause of the screw popping of was from the kyphosis? i am in alot of pain from the rod sticking into my muscle. i am waiting to get a surgery date to fix the problem.

Comment

Hi Lor...

Because of the forces of kyphosis pulling the torso forward, I understand there is a lot more stress on the top of the implants in people with kyphosis.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X