Just got home from the hosptial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got home from the hosptial

I fell last Tues and broke my hip. Thank God my brace protected my back. They did surgery on Thurs and now I am home. My time online will be limited as this is really painful. Trudy's death was ruled accidental as a mistake by the anethesiest. Dr. Shelokov had completed the surgery but the central line was sewn into the wrong place.
    Linda G.

Take care of yourself!

OMG Linda, you poor thing. Thank God your back is okay. Also, thank you for the update on Trudy. It's still hard to believe. Regards, Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap. Please take care of yourself.

Thanks for the update on Trudy. What a tragic, preventable error. When interviewing surgeons, we need to keep in mind that the anesthesiologist's role can be even more critical than that of the surgeon's and ask the surgeon who he uses and what kind of record this person has.

Chris

Comment

Linda,

So sorry to hear of your accident. You must have been so scared thinking of your back in addition to the pain. Hope your recovery goes well. Thanks for taking the time to update us on Trudy. It's still shocking to think about, and seems even more tragic in that the surgery was actually completed.

Take care,

Renee

Comment

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Thanks for the info on Trudy - how absolutely tragic!! I will be sure to talk to my surgeon about his anesthesiologist when I go in for my appointment next week.

Blessings for a speedy recovery,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Linda,
            So sorry to hear what a rough time you've been having. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Can anyone please tell me what the central line is for?

Comment

I am glad that your back is alright but sorry to hear about your hip. Get well soon.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Linda-that's horrible about your fall & hip. I can sympathize since I too, fell on a trip to NYCity about 3 weeks ago. I have never been one to fall & evidiently I was tired & tripped on the uneven pavement on 5th ave, of all places...My husband & boys were very scared but I did get right back up. I went down on my hand & left outer thigh...no scratches but just a swollen hand for about a week...I hope my back is ok...I did'nt feel any problem there....but what a nightmare. Must have been a balance thing, I guess...
                take it easy & get better.
                thkyou for the update on Trudy's death. that makes me so sad.....Ly

Comment

Central Line

Sherie:

A central line is a catheter (like an IV but longer) they put in a vein and feed to a point just outside of your heart (usually in the Superior vena cava (SVC) or inferior vena cava (IVC). No, I'm not a nurse - just spent far too long in the NICU.

Linda:

I am sooo sorry to hear about your hip. My goodness! But I'm also thankful that you didn't hurt anything else (BIG presumption on my part), especially your back! I will pray for you to have a quick recovery and that you will get some relief soon.

Also, thank you so much on the update about Trudy. It means a lot to me as Dr. S is one of the few I have on my "short list" of surgeons. It will be good to walk in to the appointment with a little more information. Thank you for finding time to post this while you are going through so much yourself.

God Bless,
                  Ann
                  Last edited by Houston Curves; 02-20-2007, 06:56 PM.
                  44 year old female
                  Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                  Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                  Posterior Only, 9 hours
                  Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                  Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Dear Linda-

So sorry to hear about your hip. I hope the pain goes away quickly. It's kind of you to post to the list when you are dealing with pain. Thank you!

It's terribly sad to hear about Trudy. Thank you for the information though. It helps a great deal.

Ann,
                    Thanks for the info on the central line. I was also wondering what it was. Now I know a bit more!

Sam

Comment

Linda,
                      I am so sorry to hear of your fall. I hope you are doing well and recover very quickly and with little pain. Thank you for updating us on Trudy's passing. I'm still heartbroken everytime I think of her and her family...

Comment

Linda,
                        So sorry to hear about your hip, but so glad your back is ok. My prayers for a speedy recovery....
                        Thank you for updating us on Trudy. You are wonderful to endure pain while sitting up to type, just to inform us. We really appreciate it!
                        Get well soon!!!!!!
                        Martha
                        Mother of Laura, Age 19
                        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                        Fused T2-L2
                        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
                          Linda,
                          So sorry to hear what a rough time you've been having. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Can anyone please tell me what the central line is for?
                          Hi Sherie...

In addition to the above, I thought I should mention that everyone who has a big spine surgery gets a central line. In addition to other benefits, it can be used to infuse blood in a hurry if necessary. It's usually placed after the patient has already been anesthesized, and is usually left in place for at least a few days postop. It can be uncomfortable, but only because it's held in place with a large patch of Tegaderm (a thin adhesive film).

--Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda G,

I also wanted to let you know how much I have appreciated your conviction to let us know about Trudy!!! Especially knowing what you have gone through, both emotionally and physically, yourself!!!

I think you're special, and you are in my thoughts and prayer's, along with Trudy's family and friends!!! I can only imagine what you are going through personally, on so many different levels!!!

All my respects,
                            Shari

Comment

Linda, so sorry to hear of your fall. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. When it rains it pours it seems sometimes. Thanks for the update on Trudy's passing. Take care of yourself.
                              JudyK

Comment

Working...
                              X