Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What situations might take place after the surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What situations might take place after the surgery?

Hello everyone

I would like to know about the scoliosis patients who had been through surgeries. Can they stand properly after the surgery? Does it cause any pain after the surgery? And do they grow normally?
    My son Tamzid is almost 9 yrs old now ,he has conginetal kypho scoliosis,his curvature is about 90 degree up and his height is only 3 feet 9inch. As I dont have any other option India is my only destiny to operate my child. But I want to know that after surgery what are the outcomes and what are the quantities of a successful operation and how many are living their lives like normal people? That would certainly encourage me to step forward for the operation without any hesitation. I am desperately willing to know about it and it would be really kind of you all.
    Thanks
    Sayma(from Bangladesh)

response to query about Tamzid

Hi Sayma,

I read one of your older posts a while back and responded to them through private messaging. If you haven't it, here's my response to your questions and I am sure someone else will respond as well.

First, each child who has scoliosis (or kyphosis) is different. However, based on what I have read and from talking to other parents (including many on this board), surgery can make a huge positive difference in some children's life, particularly when the scoliosis or kyphosis is severe. While I am not a doctor (just a parent of a child with kyphosis), I would encourage you to consult with doctors in India. In particular, I would recommend contacting Dr. Samir Dalvie at at the Tata Hospital in Bombay (if you can get to Bombay). He examined my daughter in the US a few years ago and his diagnosis and recommendations for treatment were right on the money. In fact, my 12 year old daughter is undergoing surgery on June 13th and her surgeon (Dr. Boachie) is pretty much following the same procedure that Dr. Dalvie had recommended.

Good luck,

Sam

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sam!
      I went to India for my son's check up and went to All India medical Institution of delhi and I met Dr.Pk Dave and Dr.Jeswan they told me to operate my son immediately but I was really afraid and I could not rely on them and thats why i applied in Shriners Hospital but they rejected my son for chronic condition I dont know what they meant ,because conginetal scoliosis implies chronic condition. So is that suppose to mean that my son can never be treated or never be cured? Anyway as Dr.Pk dave retired now ,can you please get some informations from your doctor? I'll surely check out the website of tata hospital and make sure about the doctors over there.
      Therefore my son doesnot have any problems for his scoliosis its just that he is not growing that much and his spine is bent but he can run as fast as every normal child. How is your daughter? What is her condition? And give my prayers and best wishes to her. By the way what kind of surgery they'll do to your child? Let me know about it all .
      thanks again!
      Sayma

Comment

Hey Sayma,

I think the surgery itself has different effects on people in different ways. I think it helps if you have surgery at a young age though. This is because you heal alot quicker and your bones are still developing, so surgery for your son at aged 9 wouldn't be too bad a thing because the healing process is alot quicker.

Hope that helps a bit,

Sheena x

Comment

Sorry about the late reply

Hi Sayma,

Sorry about the late reply. I have been away from the scoliosis board for a while and just got back to checking it last night.

I can completely understand your being afraid of the surgery. I took my daughter to at least 7 surgeons before picking Dr. Boachie but even then surgery was not an easy decision for me. My daughter has congenital kyphosis, which means that she was born with two of her vertebrae (L2 and L3) fused together. I was also told that it was a chronic condition - kyphosis cannot be eliminated but one can prevent further deterioration. Also, in some cases, surgery can also improve curvature in the spine. You have to make sure that the surgeon you pick has plenty of experience working with scoliosis and working with children. Like your son, my daughter is a tremendously healthy child and she is very active but her discs are beginning to show signs of wear and tear because of which Dr. Boachie has decided to do a corrective surgery. He is going to fuse her spine (L1 through L4) to prevent further deterioration and bending. She will have the surgery in June, so we are in a preparatory mode - lots of healthy eating and moderate exercise.

Regarding your son, I have heard that folks at AIIMS in Delhi are pretty good too but I don't know much about them. I do know that Dr. Dalvie at the Tata Hospital in B'bay is quite good and does similar surgeries frequently. My suggestion would be to call the Tata Hospital (unfortunately, I don't have their tel number) and see if you can make an appointment to see him. I will try to look up his number and send it to you as well. I am surprised that Shriner's turned you down but again I don't have much experience with them.
          Let me see if I can track down Dr. Dalvie's number for you.

Hang in there!

Sam

Comment

info on Dr. Dalvie

Sayma,

I did a websearch on Dr. Samir Dalvie and found this website on him. I guess he is at the Bombay Hospital and not at the Tata Hospital in Bombay.

http://www.indiaspine.com/about_us.htm

Also, the contact info for the Bombay hospital is pasted below.

Bombay Hospital
            Room no 116A
            1st floor , New MRC Wing
            Tel: 22067676 Ext: 546
            Mon-Fri : 5pm to 8pm

Good luck getting an appointment with him.

Sam

Comment

Working...
            X