No announcement yet.

Dr. Lawrence Lenke, M.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bj1961, Good luck with your appointment!
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Dr. Lenke

I am 63 y.o. and have had long standing scoliosis since age of 10. I had fusion of my thoracic spine at age 16 without instrumentation in 1962 and a plaster body cast for a year. The cast broke and I lost a lot of correction and now have 91 degree thoracic and 68 degree lumbar curve. In 1967, I asked the Chief of Orthopedics at UCLA if anything could be done for me and was told that nothing could be done, and that I had to just live with it. I got depressed over my situation. In 1983, I had the good fortune to get referred to Dr. Edgar Dawson at UCLA (now deceased). He attempted a revision but abandoned the attempt upon being advised by the neurosurgeon that the procedure was too risky. He then did a 6-7 rib thoracoplasty to reduce a large thoracic hump. He then referred me to Twin Cities Scoliois Center in Minneapolis, Minn. The surgeon there advised me that the A/P procedure then being performed was a 3 stage procedure which patients had difficulty tolerating (that was in 1987) and performed another 3 rib thoracoplasty. These surgeries significantly improved my appearance and my life but still left me with severe spinal curvature. I was eventually diagnosed with severe restrictive lung disease (FVC 39%) and use a Bi-Pap at night for episodes of severe headaches and blood pressure spikes (low O2 and elevated CO2 while
      sleeping). The Bi-Pap works wonders and controls both of these problems. I gave up on getting help for my scoliosis because I thought there was none out there. Eventually, I got referreed to UCSF for consultation for a revision with instrumentation and was told that the risks outweighed the benefits for my case, primarily because of my pulmonary status. I was referred then to Dr. Lenke in St. Louis.
      My appointment with Dr. Lenke was yesterday and for the first time in many, many years I have hope. There was a wait in the clinic but it was so worth it. Dr. Lenke gave me his undivided attention, reviewed all the reports, X-rays, etc. and calmly and unhurriedly answered all my questions. He spoke of the risks of surgery and benefits and without pressure let me decide whether or not I wanted surgery. I had read alot of literature and knew alot of what to expect and told Dr. Lenke that I was willing to take the risks as I was on a down hill course with my pulmonary status and had a shortened longevity. I scheduled surgery for June. His nurse was very helpful and also answered alot of questions. I feel very fortunate. I have had a 50 year wait for this surgery with many years of giving up. I now have hope of having an active and functional old age.

Good Luck, bj1961 with your appt.

Doreen: Are you out there? How are you doing? I have been following your posts. Are you out of rehab? Are you home? How is your breathing? I hope you are doing well.

Comment

I’m so thrilled for you that after all these years you found a doctor who has given you hope for a brighter future. I believe you were guided to Dr. Lenke and I will keep you in my prayers that your surgery is a huge success.

Chris

Comment

Hi Wishing

I'm so excited for you. We were supposed to be there yesterday too but our flight was cancelled due to bad weather there in St. Louis. Did you fly in the day before? We're rescheduled for March 6.

I felt the same with Dr. Lenke, his demeanor puts you at ease. I know your case is so much more difficult than my daughter's but it was very important to me to find a doctor that I had 100% confidence in because I am making decisions for my daughter that can't be undone. I'm very happy for you that you have found someone to help you. He did an awesome job on my daughter, the sagittal contouring is perfect. You can see her xrays here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forum...5&daysprune=-1

Look for my name and the thread "Pre and post op xrays". If you're interested in seeing photos, PM me. Best wishes!

Comment

Thank you Chris WBS for your best wishes. I also wish you the best in your search for the right treatment. I know that I am a higher risk patient, even in the best of hands, but I also know that I have a 100% chance of severe problems if I do nothing. I feel very fortunate to have found such a gifted surgeon to help me.

Thank you Sherie for your best wishes and for sharing about Sheena's wonderful outcome and correction. Her X-ray result is beautiful. She must be thrilled and has been spared the agony of going through life with a major deformity. She can now enjoy her beautiful new figure. You are such a wonderful mother to Sheena.
            Yes, I flew in the day before my appointment from Los Angeles and squeezed into St.Louis before the storm. Stayed at Parkway Hotel across the street which had a special rate for patients.
            Again, thank you both for your support and sharing.

Comment

Apt. w/ lenke

Well, I to now join the ranks of people that are impressed with Dr. Lenke's approach to his patients. My appointment on Wednesday was good. He took all the time in the world with me as well going over all of my xrays and my mri's. Answered all of our questions. My surgery is scheduled for August 18th. It was a long day for us too. We left home at 5:30 in the morning to drive in for my appointment. It is a 7 hour drive, I know a lot of you have come much further. I think it is worth it. Kelly, his nurse spent just as much time with us going over in detail everything. August seems like a long time away, yet, the last 6 years havent been a lot of fun, 6 more months will be like a walk in the park!!

Comment

Thank you wishing and sherry and all of you! Prayers get us all through!!

Comment

Dear bj1961,

I'm very glad for you that you had a successful appointment and wish you the very best for your surgery. Yes, it is amazing that such a busy, gifted surgeon treats you like he has all the time in the world for you and treats you like you are his only patient. I feel so peaceful and content with my decision to have the surgery. I know I'm in the right hands and the right place. I thought of you last Wednesday and hoping everything was going well. Now, it's like waiting for Christmas to get here.

Comment

Notice To All Dr. Lenke Patients from Doreen Lamar

I had my surgery August 27th in St. Louis. This actual surgery turned out fantastic however there have been many things that have gone wrong and needless to say i have never made it home yet and I am now just been transferred to my 5th hospital. I have been transfered to Kindred healthcare in Louisiville Ky for intensive rehab to get off of a ventalator which i have been on for 8 months as a result of the surgery. Also I have been on kindney dialysis since I went into renal failure since my surgery. But my back has never been straighter and I hope in a couple of more months to be weaned off the vent and to go home. Of course I will still have to do dialysis 3 days a week but I am still alive. Good luck to all. Also I was unable to stand or even walk after my surgery and now I am able to walk with the help of a walker so that is getting better. Take care all Doreen Lamar

Comment

Doreen,

You have been through so much. If I recall correctly, this was about your tenth surgery. You are a real heroine in my book. Thank you so much for letting us know how you are doing. I will be offering my Mass on Sunday solely for your intentions. May God bless you with improving health.

Chris

Comment

Dear Doreen,

It is great to hear from you and to hear how you are doing. I am including you in my daily prayers for a full recovery so that you can enjoy your beautiful new back. Just visualize being off that vent., breathing well, off that dialysis and having yourself in full health. We are all pulling for you and wish you the very best of health and happiness. Full recovery can happen.
                        Thank you Doreen for keeping us posted. God bless you and the very best to you.

Comment

Thank You All

Thank you all for all your prayers. I am hoping I won't have to be at this hospital for too many more months. I sure can use all the prayers I can get. People ask me if I would do this again and I tell them to ask me after I finally get home. But actually right now I feel the good lord had a reason for what has has happened to me. Through the course of the last months I have some wonderful people of which I would never have had the opportunity to meet. Some of these people have become some very close friends to me and this would not have happened had these problems not had happened to me. So in a way I lucky this happened to me. That is one way to look at it. It helps me get through the day.

Comment

Doreen...

Doreen-- I sent you a PM yesterday, but wasn't sure if you'd see it or not. Sometimes they're hard to see that you have one, if you don't get notified. (I forget to look up in the little PM place... )
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                            X