Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we have a surgery date!

Hi All-

We have a surgery date (June 13, 07) for my daughter! I am both relieved (to know that we are finally doing something) and nervous (about the surgery). It's rather odd to feel both relieved and nervous.

I am trying to get my daughter to eat well in preparation for the surgery. Dr. Boachie's recommended that she stop her usual physical activities (Tae Kwon Do, soccer, etc.) so we try to take lots of walks with her (when the snow lets us!). Is there anything else that I should be thinking of doing in the months leading up to the surgery?

Sam

sam--you & your daughter are in great hands with Dr. Boachie!
    Besides the vitamins, heavy iron, vitamin C & all they prescribe you, I made sure I ate well & kept up my walking etc...the night before blood donations, I had steak Or a good meal & breakfast I had granola,an orange & toast....it must of helped because on blood donations my iron stayed fairly high! -ly

fused T-11 toL-5/Dr. Boachie/.aug 2006

Comment

Hi Ly-

They haven't prescribed any vitamins/irons/etc (yet!) to her but she's takes multivitamins. We love to take long walks but it's yucky out there right now...we'll definitely hit the trails when it warms up a bit.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Sam, best of luck & health to you & your daughter on her upcoming June 13th surgery w/ Dr. Boachie. We'll be praying for a successful operation & recovery!
        Martha
        Mother of Laura, Age 19
        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
        Fused T2-L2
        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Thanks Malka22! We will definitely need all the good wishes and prayers. BTW, I also just replied to your private message.

Best,

Sam

Comment

Congratulations on having a date. Your mixed feelings are very normal and typical. If you didn't feel this way, we would worry about you. These next few months will be spent learning and educating yourself even more. You will do great, I know.

I'm curious to know why Dr. Boachie had her stop her physical activities. Did he give you a reason for this? Most orthos I know of encourage kids to be as physically active as possible. The better shape their bodies are in (strength-wise) the better it is for recovery. The surgery will manipulate her body quite a bit. Having strong muscles and tissues will be a good thing. Let me know if my understanding is totally off base.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hey Carmell-

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the good wishes.

I was puzzled about the physical activity as well but Dr. Boachie explained that anything that put axial loading on her spine would not be the best for her right now. He specifically ruled out her participation in gym, skiing, and Tae Kwon Do. Missing Tae Kwon Do has been particularly hard on her because she's a black belt and Tae Kwon Do's been part of her life for the last 6 years.

My understanding is that she can walk and bicycle as much as she wants. Unfortunately, with all the snow in Upstate NY, we haven't been doing much of either. Luckily, she has very strong back and leg muscles from years of training in Tae Kwon Do, which I am hoping will hold her in good stead. In a way I am glad that the surgeon's office pushed the surgery date to June 13. It will give us some time to get a lot of walking and bicycling in when the weather gets better around here. [ I am so ready for the Spring!!! ]

Any other ideas for strengh building physical activities that would not involve axial loading?

Sam

Comment

sam--In P.T., I do a lot of leg lifts while lying down pevic tilt, Step..up & down. I do the tread mill & the Euciliptica(spelled??)l machine. Kessler has a great one that you sit down & are supported by a back rest & work your legs & arms at the same time....I'm addicted to that machine....maybe you can get a list of exercises from Lindy that she can practice on??? Ly
                so much good luck to you & her....you are in great hands!

Comment

swimming would be good if you had access to a (warm!) indoor pool, it would gently exercise all muscles as well as also be good for strengthening the lungs. Post surgery, your daughter will blow into a spirometer every couple of hours; this will help exercise the lungs as well as help to clear mucus that may accumulate.

Also, as far as a healthy diet tip, I've found making smoothies is a great way to sneak nutrition on my kids! You can use so many different fruits like bananas, berries, peaches, pineapple...and you can use frozen or fresh. In addition to the fruit I use, I also will add things like orange juice, yogurt(regular or frozen), soy milk, soy or other protein powder, wheat germ, etc. Also easy to make and clean up, which is always a big plus in my book

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee and Lynne-

I just saw your posts [I haven't had a chance to be on the forum in about a month]. Thanks for all the ideas on exercises and healthy eating. I have started the smoothies and will definitely look into a swimming pool. That's a really good idea. The surgery's only three months away now! yikes!

Sam

Comment

Surgery Date

If there is a support group associated with the hospital that can be of great help as well. Our son was able to sit and visit with a girl who had the exact same surgery a couple of years prior and I know that it helped him to see how great the "after" can be.

It's also not too early to start thinking about items to take to the hospital and things to have at home after. There are lots of great suggestions throughout the threads on this site. Small things like different colored bandanas for her hair each day. Our son's hair was very long and he appreciated having something "cool" to keep the hair out of his eyes and express his personality.

Continued prayers and best wishes,

Steve

Comment

Thanks, Steve.

I also thought that it would be good for my daughter to talk to other kids who have had the same experience, but thus far she has shown zero interest in talking with other kids about it. She read up on the materials that Boachie's office just sent, and browsed through some of the books that I bought, but other than that she's just going along with the whole thing.

I also looked at the list that Susannajon put together for stuff to take to the hospital and that was very helpful. I have made some changes around our home, and will beging assembling various things this month. For now, we are in the process of getting all the pre-op tests done locally (pulmonary function tests, pediatric echocardiogram, and blood type test); it's all a little bewildering, but I guess things are moving along...

One month and 5 days to the surgery...!

Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X